Incredibally confused

smashbro35

Reaction score
Last Summer my contract ended just 1 week after the droid 3 came out so I got it and up untill recently I haven't noticed any problems (this was most likely due to the fact I didn't know any better) I would love some help so just answer any you can.

1)I'll have problems running apps I should be able to run (I'm not to conscerened as a recent asphalt 6 test went pretty smooth)

2)laggy music, when I listen to music sometimes (not always) it will be very laggy (by laggy I mean constant skips (like: ohhhh yeahhh Biiiii_____ ohh yeahhh. Not sure if that helps))

3)This one is my biggest one by far, how do I use my SD card?! I have a 32gb in there and for the longest time I thought that moving an app to the media space was how I put it on there (btw what does that even do?) I downloaded app to SD but that was just plain useless as it just brings me back to the screen where I can move it the media space.

4)How do I extend app storage space? For internal storage

That's it for now thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Chessman.exe

Reaction score
My music skips too, the only way I can fix it is by restarting. As for the SD card thing, you can't extend internal storage, so you turn to SD cards, the SD card supposedly works by adding music and media to it, you cannot (as far as I know) add apps to it.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I think you can transfer apps to your actual sd card by connecting your phone to your computer, switching to USB Mass Storage mode and sending the apps from the internal sd card to the external one.

For example, my internal sd card shows up as MOT E: when I connect my phone. My external sd is Blackberry F: (it used to be in a Blackberry, that's why). Just right-click the app you want to transfer from internal to external and choose your external sd from the menu.

I would only move an app that had the "Move To SD" option in the App Manager. I wouldn't transfer everything, just to be safe.

You could probably do all this from Root Explorer, but I don't know if you guys are rooted.

By the way, just transfer the app's entire folder. Don't dissect it and send pieces of it, while leaving others behind.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
The Droid 3 has 16 Gb of internal storage. 2 Gb of this is for apps and the rest is for use like a traditional sdcard.....basically storage. The OS allows you to move apps that support installing to /sdcard to be moved to this storage (move to media). The phone itself mounts this internal storage as /sdcard.

An external/physical sdcard that you install is just for storage of your stuff (.mp3s, pictures, documents, etc..) and can only be used as such.

The added sdcard will be mounted as /sdcard-ext by the phone.

You can NOT move/install apps to this storage. You can store apps there to be installed.....but when you open it in a file manager it will install it to internal storage (the 2 Gig) or the media storage if it supports installing to /sdcard (the left over of the internal 16 Gig minus the 2 Gig set aside for apps). Now you'll have the installer still sitting on /sdcard-ext and the app installed internally on the phone.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
1)I'll have problems running apps I should be able to run (I'm not to conscerened as a recent asphalt 6 test went pretty smooth)

2)laggy music, when I listen to music sometimes (not always) it will be very laggy (by laggy I mean constant skips (like: ohhhh yeahhh Biiiii_____ ohh yeahhh. Not sure if that helps))

3)This one is my biggest one by far, how do I use my SD card?! I have a 32gb in there and for the longest time I thought that moving an app to the media space was how I put it on there (btw what does that even do?) I downloaded app to SD but that was just plain useless as it just brings me back to the screen where I can move it the media space.

4)How do I extend app storage space? For internal storage
1.) What applications are you having issues with?

2.) Is the music located on internal or external storage? I've heard the same thing from others that have 32gb sd cards. Usually a format/wipe fixes the issue, make sure you format with the phone and not your pc/mac.

3.) Apps are not installed on the actual "internal" storage. There is allocated space on the built in 16gb internal 'virtual' sd-card, 2gb for applications (media space) and another 2gb for the system. So your left with around 12gb usable for anything (Music movies other files etc..) You can move applications to either internal (virtual sd) or your external. First you have to go into setting>storage scroll down and choose which storage to use, its a drop down box. Then go to setting>applications>manage apps and go to the applications you want to move. If they are able to be moved there will be an option to move them to your sd card (external only). When moving applications to your internal card it puts them in the allocated space as mentioned before. Some applications over a certain size will automatically be installed to your external card so it will say "move to internal storage" for those. Now, if you are rooted you can use an application like titanium backup to move applications to/from internal/external storage and its much easier and faster.

4.) Pretty much covered above.

Sorry if the process I gave isn't exact, I'm currently running Ice Cream Sandwich and the settings and menu layout are a little bit different (and easier to navigate to be honest). A bit confusing I know, so if you need help or have more questions just ask.

Last edited:
OP
S

smashbro35

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for your help i don't want to start a new topic so I'll just add on with some questions I forgot to ask or are still unanswered

1)Maybe u did and I missed it but is there a way to extend storage available for apps?

2)how do I download my google music music (Is available in offline downloading because it doesn't. Show them in other places)

3)Is there a set date for when we get Ice cream sandwich?

OP
S

smashbro35

Reaction score
1.) What applications are you having issues with?

2.) Is the music located on internal or external storage? I've heard the same thing from others that have 32gb sd cards. Usually a format/wipe fixes the issue, make sure you format with the phone and not your pc/mac.

3.) Apps are not installed on the actual "internal" storage. There is allocated space on the built in 16gb internal 'virtual' sd-card, 2gb for applications (media space) and another 2gb for the system. So your left with around 12gb usable for anything (Music movies other files etc..) You can move applications to either internal (virtual sd) or your external. First you have to go into setting>storage scroll down and choose which storage to use, its a drop down box. Then go to setting>applications>manage apps and go to the applications you want to move. If they are able to be moved there will be an option to move them to your sd card (external only). When moving applications to your internal card it puts them in the allocated space as mentioned before. Some applications over a certain size will automatically be installed to your external card so it will say "move to internal storage" for those. Now, if you are rooted you can use an application like titanium backup to move applications to/from internal/external storage and its much easier and faster.

4.) Pretty much covered above.

Sorry if the process I gave isn't exact, I'm currently running Ice Cream Sandwich and the settings and menu layout are a little bit different (and easier to navigate to be honest). A bit confusing I know, so if you need help or have more questions just ask.

1)Its on google music and on internal

2)haven't got a chance to try yet so ill get back to u on that

Cdjones187

Reaction score
1)Maybe u did and I missed it but is there a way to extend storage available for apps?

2)how do I download my google music music (Is available in offline downloading because it doesn't. Show them in other places)

3)Is there a set date for when we get Ice cream sandwich?

You cannot extend that partition. How many apps do you have? 2gb is a LOT of app storage, talking at least 500 if the average size is 4mb per app. (which is almost twice as large as most applications)

I don't believe you can automatically download your music from google music. But when you play a streamed song it will download to your phone to make it available offline later on. It really shouldn't be skipping if your music is on the internal storage. Dont format/wipe quite yet. Go into google music settings and check 'hide unavailable' music and then in menu check 'offline music only' reboot your phone and then see if it still skips.

There is not a set date for when the D3 will get ICS, but speculation is mid summer but hopefully earlier than that. As of right now there is a developer working on a ICS build for the D3 (which I'm running) and it will be complete before moto/verizon release an official update. Also, by the time we see an official ICS build it will have motoblur on top of it and the build currently available is AOSP (android open source project) meaning it's just a pure android experience and no manufacturer UI over the top like the current gingerbread build has.

OP
S

smashbro35

Reaction score
Thanks youve been really helpful

OP
S

smashbro35

Reaction score
Onelast quick one

I've been listening to music on an hour and a half trip for hockey and I've notticed it will start a song then it will skip to the next (its the mylo xyloto coldplay album) (everything else is great)

Shimmy549

Reaction score
[QUOTE=Cdjones187

So there's actually a way to set the phone to do it...You can tell I never tried. I thought apps had to be forced over via manual move.

I should look into this "Settings" thing everyone is talking about, poke around a little-haha.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk