Incoming SMS broken into multiple messages

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Ghostwheel, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this, and maybe knows of a fix. I've searched all around using various keywords, but can't turn up my specific issue. My girlfriend recently got herself a new Windows phone. Now, when she sens me an SMS, if it's longer than two lines, my Droid (RAZR Maxx) breaks it up into multiple two-line messages, and they're not necessarily displayed in order. For example, if she sens one that would normally be five lines, I'll receive it as three separate SMS's (also meaning my phone explodes into three notifications instead on one) of 2 lines, 2 lines, and 1 line, and it might be in the order of 2, 3, 1 instead of 1, 2, 3. Has anyone else noticed this when being texted by someone with a Windows phone? Is there a setting in her texting app which breaks them up like that on purpose?
  2. Olhonda

Olhonda Member

My HTC Imagio used to do this when I would text to my wife's Droid X. The Imagio was running WP 6.5 though. Sounds like a problem on Verizon's end. Bad account setting maybe.
  3. Olhonda

Olhonda Member

4. KateRobson

KateRobson New Member

Oh this would be very annoying, I remember when I have a Nokia 8310 many years back and when someone sends me a long message I received it in parts but in those days we have this issue with many mobile phones but I have never heard anything like this happen to anyone who are using an android phone like RAZR Maxx. You should check their website and see if you can find something regarding it.
  5. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Ah, thank you for pointing me to the correct term. I'd originally thought it was just an Win phone vs. Droid thing, but I just realized she switched carriers (from Cricket to AT&T), so that change also might have something to do with it...
  6. Olhonda

Olhonda Member

The carrier change is most likely the culprit. AT&T should be able to straighten this out quickly.
  7. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

After doing some googling, I don't think it's going to get straightened out. It seems that AT&T's network (GSM) handles SMS over 160 characters differently than Verizon's (CDMA). Basically, CDMA doesn't do this very well. There's no simple phone or account setting which could fix this. I'll just keep reminding her to hit "send" and start a new SMS before she hits 160 characters... :)
  8. mikeinctown

mikeinctown New Member

My phone with VZW (Rezound, and before this, the OG) always does that with messages from other carriers. My ex wife sends messages from Sprint IIRC and they are always broken up and out of order. I've gotten so used to just looking at the number order than I don't give it a thought anymore.
Search tags for this page

droid maxx texting line break

read messages off my broken phone
why my android shows incoming sms break
windows phone 8 message thread broken into 2