Incoming SMS broken into multiple messages

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this, and maybe knows of a fix. I've searched all around using various keywords, but can't turn up my specific issue. My girlfriend recently got herself a new Windows phone. Now, when she sens me an SMS, if it's longer than two lines, my Droid (RAZR Maxx) breaks it up into multiple two-line messages, and they're not necessarily displayed in order. For example, if she sens one that would normally be five lines, I'll receive it as three separate SMS's (also meaning my phone explodes into three notifications instead on one) of 2 lines, 2 lines, and 1 line, and it might be in the order of 2, 3, 1 instead of 1, 2, 3. Has anyone else noticed this when being texted by someone with a Windows phone? Is there a setting in her texting app which breaks them up like that on purpose?

Olhonda

Reaction score
My HTC Imagio used to do this when I would text to my wife's Droid X. The Imagio was running WP 6.5 though. Sounds like a problem on Verizon's end. Bad account setting maybe.

Olhonda

Reaction score
The carrier change is most likely the culprit. AT&T should be able to straighten this out quickly.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
After doing some googling, I don't think it's going to get straightened out. It seems that AT&T's network (GSM) handles SMS over 160 characters differently than Verizon's (CDMA). Basically, CDMA doesn't do this very well. There's no simple phone or account setting which could fix this. I'll just keep reminding her to hit "send" and start a new SMS before she hits 160 characters... :)

mikeinctown

Reaction score
My phone with VZW (Rezound, and before this, the OG) always does that with messages from other carriers. My ex wife sends messages from Sprint IIRC and they are always broken up and out of order. I've gotten so used to just looking at the number order than I don't give it a thought anymore.