Improve your Droid X voice quality

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
is there a way to save the settings? I find the option, make the change, and then hit home to exit to my homescreen. After rebooting the phone, I'm still on the evrc settinc.

Indeed. Looks like my D3 is acting the same way. Maybe they changed something when they moved the menus around, I'll have to mess around with it.

ABQNM

Reaction score
None of this will work in CM7 or SSX. They both do not use the stock dialer so no way to access the program menu. Also it will not survive a reboot. Verizon locked it to the vocoder they want to use for compatibility so it is only able to be enabled temporarily for test purposes. It is nice but I don't find it makes enough of a difference to set it every time.

Posted wirelessly from the magic handheld forum machine.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
None of this will work in CM7 or SSX. They both do not use the stock dialer so no way to access the program menu. Also it will not survive a reboot. Verizon locked it to the vocoder they want to use for compatibility so it is only able to be enabled temporarily for test purposes. It is nice but I don't find it makes enough of a difference to set it every time.

Maybe with root we can find what is reseting the vocoder and stop it from switching back. Talking from the D3 here.. I'll have to wait for root on that to start digging in that direction.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I do not know where to begin as that is in the NVRAM for the radio. The closest I can figure is maybe TBH who came up with the patch that changes the APN in the NVRAM to allow wireless tether in GB since the settings should both be in the same area. This is not to say it is possible, but just an idea.

dAi

Reaction score
My option 4 is SID/NID Pair. Droidx gb 2.3

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
I've messed around in NVRAM on WinMo devices. It's just simple AT commands you issue the modem from a terminal. Just need to know what AT commands to issue. Might be worth seeing if setting with the stock dialer, then ditching the stock ROM before a full reboot to see if it sticks. I'm betting instead of it not sticking that something in the stock ROM or dialer is reseting it on boot up.

dAi

Reaction score
With the latest software update from Verizon, the location of the codec setting has moved on my DroidX. It is now under "06-Test Mode". Touch 'Next' twice and change codec in "Service Option" pull down. When I backed out all the way to the dialer, the phone did not re-boot. I shut down and re-started mine. When I went back and checked - I was using EVRC-B.

Hope this helps!

I've tried this but it doesn't save settings on reboot

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
With the latest software update from Verizon, the location of the codec setting has moved on my DroidX. It is now under "06-Test Mode". Touch 'Next' twice and change codec in "Service Option" pull down. When I backed out all the way to the dialer, the phone did not re-boot. I shut down and re-started mine. When I went back and checked - I was using EVRC-B.

Hope this helps!

I've tried this but it doesn't save settings on reboot

It's been stated that Verizon probably changed something recently to block the setting saving or changing it back after reboot. I'm going to dig into it after the D3 gets root.

comk4ver

Reaction score
So last night I got hold of my boyfriend's stock non-rooted htc incredible and the same thing when I pressed the code ##program nothing happened... He even asked me if I had to press send and I said no... This isn't manufacture specific right?

ABQNM

Reaction score
Actually you do need to press send. That code should work for all verizon android phones. It may vary for other carriers.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
Actually you do need to press send. That code should work for all verizon android phones. It may vary for other carriers.

Yeah, you do need to press send. I'm not sure where you got the impression that you don't.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Scanned the 5 pages didn't see it mentioned, does this work for DX2?

ABQNM

Reaction score
Scanned the 5 pages didn't see it mentioned, does this work for DX2?

The programming menu should work fine. I do not have an X2 but it should work fine if the option is there. Just try it and see.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
It will probably work until a reboot, just like the D3. At least the DX2 has root right now, so maybe there will be a way to get it to stick. Still waiting on root for the D3.