Google Voice and vocode

Thorvindr

Reaction score
So I heard a lot of people talking about the "poor" voice quality on the DROID, but had yet to experience it myself. My uncle and I both upgraded from the BBStorm on launch day, and the voice quality is vastly superior to any other cell phone I've ever used (Blackberry Storm, Curve & Moto Razr V3r). But I thought "what the hell?" So I called my google voice account from my droid and left a voicemail. Then I changed the vocode to evrc-b and left the same voicemail. Then I changed it to 13k and left the same voicemail a third time. When playing them back on my computer (high-quality audio equipment attached), they all sound exactly the same.

I figure there are three possible explanations for this:

1. I'm in an area that uses evrc-b, so whatever my phone is set for, it detects the best thing it can find and uses that.

2. Google Voice records my voicemail at quality==X, so they all sound the same.

3. A lot of DROID users are retarded and the vocode makes no difference it sound quality.

Anybody have any insight? I'm not looking for conjecture. I have plenty of that already. I'm looking for someone with technical knowledge of Google Voice or cell networks.

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thats pretty interesting, I been wanting to change the vocodes myself and see the difference in audio quality. I too switched from a blackberry and was blown away by the sound quality when I call someone. Even the noise cancellation is amazing.

Unfortunately I cant answer any of your question but I am looking to see what answers come within the topic.

By the way...off topic....do you have any extra google voice invites I may have? I have a wave if your interested ^_^