I'm somewhat new, and I hate this phone.. HELP PLEASE? :-)

nStyle

Reaction score
I am willing to bet your problem is that your "Enable always-on mobile" is unchecked. To enable it... Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks >Mobile networks

Grettski

Reaction score
Ok, I know Im new here, but Ive had my eris since December. I stuck with 1.5 all the way to the OTA update. Back then the phone had issues, slow, missed calls, pure crap for battery life. I learned (through here) how to improve things. After the update I had a ton of problems like so many others and I fixed it the other day. Since your problems happened after the OTA both Droids and I suggested a factory data reset because its obviously not a hardware problem. I fixed 99% of my problems with a reset and if you read other threads on here it has fixed a ton of them. It can be a pain to do it but both my wife and I got through it. Ok, I did it twice but it wasnt that bad considering how much got fixed.

as for this....
I am willing to bet your problem is that your "Enable always-on mobile" is unchecked. To enable it... Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks >Mobile networks

I turned that off 3 months ago to save battery. And it did help the battery and I get emails, facebook msgs and texts just as fast as always.

serpentineone9

Reaction score
Everyone, do the factory reset after updating to 2.1. The process itself is not hard, but I did have to call Verizon (from a land line while I had my eris handy) and have the rep "authenticate" my phone afterwards, but it was worth it. It runs faster and smoother now and it fixed my speed dial problems. Also, I haven't had any calls that my eris doesn't recognize anymore. Just be sure to back up all of your stuff. My contacts transferred flawlessly after this reset. I did however have to reinstall the apps I downloaded of course so be sure to back them up as well or make a list so you can go back and reinstall them later.

kmblygrn

Reaction score
Everyone, do the factory reset after updating to 2.1. The process itself is not hard, but I did have to call Verizon (from a land line while I had my eris handy) and have the rep "authenticate" my phone afterwards, but it was worth it. It runs faster and smoother now and it fixed my speed dial problems. Also, I haven't had any calls that my eris doesn't recognize anymore. Just be sure to back up all of your stuff. My contacts transferred flawlessly after this reset. I did however have to reinstall the apps I downloaded of course so be sure to back them up as well or make a list so you can go back and reinstall them later.

How do I back up my apps for later if I want to do a factory reset?

Grettski

Reaction score

How do I back up my apps for later if I want to do a factory reset?

I used ASTRO file manager. It will back up apps to the SD card and after you restart you can re-install them right off the card. Worked like a champ for me.

Darkseider

Reaction score
You have two possible solutions here.

1. Perform a factory reset. This will wipe all your data and installed applications and basically bring it back to day one with the new Operating System.

2. Root the device and install a custom ROM.

Either approach is a valid one. In your case I would suggest Step 1. If it doesn't help do it again before even attempting root. If you do want to root research it thoroughly and ask questions to those that have already done it on an Eris for any help and suggestions.

This link should you so choose will be a good place to start your quest for root.

[ROM]-[6/3/2010] Evil Eris v3.0(HTC Sense UI-Android 2.1)[Overclock and Apps2SD!] - xda-developers

Good luck!

kmblygrn

Reaction score
Grettski, I downloaded Astro. Would it be possible to ask how it works, which steps to take? I am in new territory here and I would appreciate the advice. Thanks,

Grettski

Reaction score
Grettski, I downloaded Astro. Would it be possible to ask how it works, which steps to take? I am in new territory here and I would appreciate the advice. Thanks,

just open ASTRO, then menu>tools>application manager/backup. Click the top box to select all apps, or check the ones you want. Before you leave this screen, look at the top. Select the other tab AFTER you do your reset to put apps back on.

Thats it. Let me know if you need anything else...

kmblygrn

Reaction score
Thanks! That was so easy. I am working on it now. Going to do the factory reset as recommended.