I'm on my 4th Droidx in less than a year!

Sasherzeena

Reaction score
My original phone suffered from "rogue droid syndrome" but I was able to live with that for almost a year. It survived the 1st upgrade even though I lost all my data and had to reload my contacts and downloaded whatever free apps I had. Eventually the "rogue droid" symtoms got so bad I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I pleaded with the verizon tech to just send me a new phone.
The new "refurbished phone #1" arrived a couple of weeks ago. Again I lost all my apps and contacts and spent hours getting it all setup again. Then the latest upgrade came out and it basically killed my phone. It seemed ok until the next morning after being on the "stock" charger all night. Each day it got progressively worse. (Freezing up, touch screen and buttons not working, etc.) I called support did the whole routine of factory reset, pulling battery, yada yada. The next day I took it to the verizon store and told them what was going on. I was told it was due to the last upgrade and when the next replacement arrived I should not allow it to update.
A new "refurbished phone #2" arrived with the latest upgrade already on it and a defective screen (white line a half inch from top that showed on every screen in every app) After almost an hour on the phone with support we got it working but the battery was low so I put it on the charger. About an hour later I took it off the charger and it was really screwed up. After another hour on the phone with support it was still locking up and couldn't even get any cellular signal.
Refurbished phone #3 is on its way. Im so frustrated I feel like I can't even bring myself to open the box when it gets here. I want out of my contract. I want to get an iphone because I've been using my work iPhone for the past couple weeks while I haven't had a personal phone that works.
There's got to be a logical explanation as to why my droidx s are biting the dust. I'm looking for a common ground between all of these droids. They've never been rooted, I have the "normal" apps such as facebook, picasa and latitude. I wiped out my sd card just in case that had too much on it. My battery and my charger are the only things in common since verizon tells me to keep those and use them in the replacement phone. But if there was a chance either of those could be a problem wouldn't the verizon techs consider that and send me new ones with the replacement? I'm at a loss as what to do at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions because verizons solution only is to just keep sending me more replacements. Ughh!

Last edited:

barski

Reaction score
I went through more than that. They told me after 5 I can pick a 3g phone. I was on 7 or 8 and asked them for a different phone. They gave me a DROID x2 for free and no contract renewal, and it didn't affect my upgrade date. If your current one dies I would ask for a different phone.

Sent from my Droid X2 or Droid X

barski

Reaction score
Yea, it's nice. Its quick, and still on 2.2 so once gingerbread comes out on it it should fly. My only complaint is when you press the home button to wake it up, it takes a bit longer than the droid x. Not that huge of an upgrade but its the best 3G phone out right now.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Sounds like it's possible your charger is the problem though that's unlikely. I suggest getting the new phone and hooking it up to a computer via the USB cable and charge it overnight on that. It's going to be a lot slower but will fully charge it.

The problem could also be an app you are loading every time so, to preclude that, use the phone BONE STOCK for a week. NO ADDITIONAL APPS. Just see if the phone with its stock apps works right. Then and only then start adding apps you want one at a time and test. It's possible you will find an app that is a problem.

If, after the phone and USB charging are good, only then try the external charger. If it gives you problems after that, you'll know the charger is probably supplying an incorrect voltage or amperage and is likely killing the phone's electronics.

It's not likely the Verizon techs will consider a bad charger as the culprit so it's up to you to figure it out by methodical testing. If it's bad, you can try and get it replaced under warranty or just buy a new one as they are not that expensive. Or just charge it on USB or a car charger. Both will work.

Keep us posted.

mechgamer123

Reaction score
I went through more than that. They told me after 5 I can pick a 3g phone. I was on 7 or 8 and asked them for a different phone. They gave me a DROID x2 for free and no contract renewal, and it didn't affect my upgrade date. If your current one dies I would ask for a different phone.

did they specifically say after 5 as if it's a general rule or was it just the 5th person you talked to? I have my 2nd X coming tommorow, and I have had issues with previous phones (ENV touch) Which let me upgrade early. Also, any way that they would allow someone to get a TB? Thanks.dancedroid

barski

Reaction score

did they specifically say after 5 as if it's a general rule or was it just the 5th person you talked to? I have my 2nd X coming tommorow, and I have had issues with previous phones (ENV touch) Which let me upgrade early. Also, any way that they would allow someone to get a TB? Thanks.dancedroid

Yes, the told me 5 defective droid x's is supposed to be the max, then they will give you a different phone. I tried to get the thunderbolt, but they wouldn't allow it since its 4G but they would allowed me to upgrade from a Droid X to a Droid X2 with a dual core processor.

mechgamer123

Reaction score

Yes, the told me 5 defective droid x's is supposed to be the max, then they will give you a different phone. I tried to get the thunderbolt, but they wouldn't allow it since its 4G but they would allowed me to upgrade from a Droid X to a Droid X2 with a dual core processor.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

xan

Reaction score
they dont actually do anything during 'refurb' process.

they open the box of a faulty returned phone, replace any damaged bezels, flash it to stock config and ship it back out to their loyal customers for them to see if it works.

my 5th DX is working fine here.

OP
S

Sasherzeena

Reaction score
just got the 4th droid last night. It froze up while trying to load my media files. I have maybe 34 pics and no video. Pulled the battery, restarted and it froze again after the screen timed out. I charged it on the usb port of my desktop last night. This morning it froze up while trying to add a one click contact. pulled the battery again and let it restart. I made a phone call just to test it and that worked so I ended the call. When the screen timed out it froze up again. Actually its ringing right now but my screen is black and when I hit the home button the buttons light up but the screen stays black and I can't answer the call.

OP
S

Sasherzeena

Reaction score
Also I haven't added any apps. The only thing I've done on the phone is activate it, add my email accts, sent a test text and click on the gallery icon (which is when it froze trying to load media.)

OP
S

Sasherzeena

Reaction score
I swear this one's possessed. I tried to make a phone call but it froze up and went black, then about 5 minutes later it must have finally decided to make the call ... I was busy working when I heard the "please wait while your party is being reached" message. It startled the heck out of me, I looked over at the phone and it was displaying picture of the friend that I had tried to call but not of the buttons would work.

xan

Reaction score
call and return it, for some reason 5 seems to be the magic number in VRZ referb roulette.
Get a credit for this months bill for lost time. dont let them try and troubleshoot it, say "i need to talk to tier two support because this replacement was broken when you put the refurb sticker on it."

barski

Reaction score
call and return it, for some reason 5 seems to be the magic number in VRZ referb roulette.
Get a credit for this months bill for lost time. dont let them try and troubleshoot it, say "i need to talk to tier two support because this replacement was broken when you put the refurb sticker on it."

That is exactly what you have to do. I have received junk phones from Verizon with a refurb sticker on it. Pretty sad that we have to do that but that's what it takes.