I'm not trying to be a pessimist but...

ctxx24

Reaction score
I am pretty happy that I put a little frozen yogurt on my X. This my first android phone, rooted it and became SUPERUSER! Then messed up my root access with 2.2. Couldnt bare the thought of not having rooted access(only god knows why). So I got the SPF, rsd lite and the patch. Messed that up, kinda turned the phone into a doorstop temporarily. Fixed that.

All in all it was a good experience, glad i had problems. Now, I have some experience, and the tools handy to fix this thing when I mess it up later.
And WHEN a new version rolls out, I WILL happily do it all again.
Nothing lost, only knowledge gained.
This board is a wealth of information, Thanks people!
Truly, honestly glad you learned something from that experience.. buuuut... your post just convinced me to wait.

Regardless, I'm a little bit concerned that 2.2 isn't bringing the unicorns and orgasms everyone was waiting for. Sounds to me like there's a little problem regarding the JIT's compatibility with the X? At least from what I've read, the improvement in terms of MFLOPS doesn't seem to be where it should be. Can anyone confirm or deny this? As far as I know, 2.2 for the X brings Flash, a slightly improved interface experience (faster, smoother etc) but nothing like leaps and bounds we all hoped for? **PLEASE** correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, one of my favorite things in the world is going back to play all the Nintendo and SNES games from my childhood. Truly an amazing experience. So if 2.2 improves that, even if only marginally, it'll probably be my phone for the entire two years of the contract instead of the few months I was planning on keeping it until Verizon rolled out their 4G Androids.

unicorns and orgasms lol ok
anyway 2.2 is alot nicer i have no bugs runs great..i actually hear my phone now thank the lord...flash is great...i waited to manual upgrade my droid 1 cause i was scared haha and to think iam only 9

umx

Reaction score
I put 2.2 on mine and its been working like a champ hell, it even fixed problems i had the restarting being number one....

**** i was supposed to get a new phone on the 25th or around that..
I might even call and cancel that now.. since its been 2 days and no restart..

I thought about just keeping the new phone. but means i would have to read up on up how to get 2.1 back on the phone, getting SU off it before i sent it back to verizon so they dont have a freaking cow..

Reaction score
As someone posted in a different thread, the only way that you can install Froyo 2.2 is if Motorola releases it due to the locked bootloader.

I have a hard time believing that this leaked file is "beta" or not the final version. I, like many others, have had no issues with installing the update. (Keep in mind, I did not root my phone and it was remains stock minus the non-OTA 2.2 upgrade.) Most of the issues people are seeing that have factory/stock phones seem to be either signal/service related, which is understandable since the Market and Verizon are under the assumption everyone is running 2.1 if they have the DX.

I really don't care what others think about it or if they are upset or not about the leaked version. I'm happy with it, 'nuff said.

darreno1

Reaction score
It's simple, if you don't trust this build then wait for the official. What's so hard about that? I had a taste of flash when I had my original droid with bbv.4 and being impatient I decided to install the leak. So far I'm very pleased. The Market isn't 100% functional but that's minor compared to the other pluses. Besides if the official build turns out to be worth the hassle of installing when it comes out then I will install it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed it to see if there were any improvements.

Scrolling thru Running Services would stall, lag before Froyo.
I got hit with the dead pixels bug in the camera after the official, final .604 update, Froyo fixed that too.
I like chrome to phone from using it on my Droid.
There is some kind of GPS/no sleep bug on the X, Froyo fixed that too.
Some ppl said the speaker is louder. Its really hard to tell on that one.
A radio website I use alot needs Flash to work. So I wanted some Flash.

I just wanted to see if there were any improvements. There was.

Now...for the not so good...lol:

I got the Battery Manager FC some ppl reported.
I cant search contacts from the phone dial pad using the search hard key, I could before Froyo. I can still do it in Froyo on my Droid.

Thats the only bugs I ran into so far. As for not losing any functionality, or having some new bug, thats gonna happen even on the final version. (See the dead pixel in camera issue above)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
For the searching contacts do you have that selected as one of the searchable things in the settings?

Edit. Ok I see what you mean even with it selected it won't search automatically. You have to hit the google button to get drop and and select contacts.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, I dont use that widget or shortcut tho. :) Its nothing major. I just have to do it from the contacts tab. Its still works from there.

Or....use the Google Search widget or shortcut...lol Which...would actually be faster than bringing up the dialpad...lol

Hey, that bug allowed me to see a way to do a task faster. See, this Froyo release actually helped me.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I hear ya, read it wrong the first time. I am having the FC on battery as well but being that is my only problem, I don't even mind it.

Amagine

Reaction score
Leak a stable release? That made me rotflmao ....

MS did that once, the released Win 7 after the beta called vista, which was the second iteration of Windows ME a few years back.

As to the C&D, likely because of BLUR or swype, not from the OS itself.

It kinda sucks, but the OEM's are going to continue to place their own UI on top of android, until Google just kills that. (First!)

It's too bad IMO that If Google continued a development with HTC of the nexus line, and actually put the thing in stores so the general public could have played with them, it would have been a larger hit than it was, and would have put pressure on ALL the OEM's to get ri of their own customized UI's, as to leave it would dely updates to the OS.

They are already re upping production on the Nexus. They sold out of stock a week ago with TON's of new orders.
I'll give it 6 months or a year and Google will make a new attempt. If they do though. I would make the phone universal almost, where you can use almost any network, like the BB "World" phones. If they did. I WILL pay 500+ for an unlocked, unbrickable, android. :reddroid:

fwaggle

Reaction score
I've had zero problems at all with my phone. Rooted + bloatware renamed... renamed it back, did the update, cleared the cache... it took a bit to restart, and I still think it takes a little while to boot (I heard "omg FroYo boots in half the time Eclair does" - I'm not seeing it), I kept root, I renamed the bloatware again.

I still have ADB, I still have root, I didn't have a boot loop (though the first boot, because it didn't boot as fast as I expected, was a bit tense). I've had no problems at all, my phone is snappier, I'm convinced the ringtones are louder, it seems like it runs cooler (or maybe I'm just not messing with it as much as when I first got it), battery life is awesome, flash support is working great, the ability to turn the screen brightness back onto "auto" from the android power widget is great...

... just all-around glad I did it.

Rishi P

Reaction score
so all in all is it just safe to say to wait for the official release....and when it is officially released do we have to pay to upgrade or will it be free??

AtreyuRock

Reaction score
I didn't try installing it, only b/c Im worried I'll mess something up with it, so Im just waiting for the official verison through over the air update. I read all the how to and I was like I can't do this, I have no idea what they are talking about, lol.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just noticed something else with Froyo. I have bus timetables in .pdf format on my X. On 2.1, scrolling to the next page, it would stop and load the next page. Took 1-2 seconds.

With Froyo...its one continuous scroll. I thought I had zoomed in all the way on the .pdf, I was waiting for the next page to load. lol

It even does it zoomed in all the way, u can just see the loading more when going from page to page when its that big. Now I wonder, is this better than pausing at the pages? Cuz if I'm not looking I could scroll past what I was looking for. But there were times I needed to get to a page a lil faster or I went back a page instead of forward and the pause irked me a little. So I can live with this.

Whatever the case is its another Froyo performance improvement. And I decided to use the Google Search widget set to Contacts. I maye have the widget on there again set to ALL. (setting it to all, it seaches the web) I got rid of the search widget cuz I used the search hard key more. Like I said before, this happening help me see a way to do something faster.