I'm not trying to be a pessimist but...

Mr X

Reaction score
Why is everyone LOSING their mind over this 2.2 leak? From roughly 75% of what I've read, you end up losing at least some functionality, whether it's Wireless Tether no longer working, ADB, losing root, bootloops, or worse - less than expected performance. I want to see the JIT, I want full functioning Flash, I want a 2-5x faster phone, of course. Just like every single one of you reading this. But why are you so willingly submitting yourselves to a beta build that doesn't appear to be anywhere as near as stable or amazing as was once thought? You don't see yourselves (those of you who've downloaded it) as free beta testers who risk quite a bit considering Google/Motorola/Verizon can easily just claim "that was an unofficial build, you knew the risk, it's past 30 days etc.. would you like to buy a new phone?"

Again, I'm not trying to be "that guy" at all. If you don't think I want the JIT and Flash, don't bother posting, you're nuts. But in all seriousness, why do people just fall face first into stuff like this without waiting so much as an hour to see whether it's safe/stable or not? Case in point: 100+ pages of '2.2 on the X!!11!!!!!11!!!!"-related threads around the internet right now with, as earlier mentioned, 75% of the posts going something like "have you found x no longer works?" or "I'm having trouble getting y to run now.."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!! Is there a newer, more stable build, or are you all still beta testing? dancedroid

(tl;dr - Is there a decent, stable build of 2.2 out with the JIT, Flash and ZERO performance downgrades/loss of functionality right now or is it worth just waiting a week for the official, non-beta OTA?)

tobytl

Reaction score
...You don't see yourselves (those of you who've downloaded it) as free beta testers who risk quite a bit considering Google/Motorola/Verizon can easily just claim "that was an unofficial build, you knew the risk, it's past 30 days etc.. would you like to buy a new phone?"...

Yes I do... and I think most of the people that would do that sort of thing do as well. That's exactly why most of us do it, testing out the new stuff. Look at the comments on the 2.2 leak blog posts, at least someone there will say something about us being motorola beta testers dancedroid

And we do have an SBF, so we can flash back to complete stock at anytime. If you don't know what an SBF is, and aren't willing to learn, you _should not_ be playing around with root. At all.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There was only one leaked version and that was pulled. I must say I'm a little more tech literate but I had no problems getting it on my DX. So either give it a try or wait a few more weeks to see the OTA.

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
That's what you get with a leak....it's not 100% functional......

steeleshark2

Reaction score
Most of the issues are because of the operators mistakes. You have 1000s of people that have done this successfully but are only hearing from mostly the people that have issues. I really enjoy the FROYO and very glad I did it. We do not know when Verizon will "actually" release it over OTA but with all the upgrades I get now with a couple of very minor bugs if done correctly, it is definitely worth it.

OP
Mr X

Mr X

Reaction score
My post, succinctly summed up into a single sentence. Well done, sir :icon_ lala:

If you don't know what an SBF is, and aren't willing to learn, you _should not_ be playing around with root. At all.
I'm well aware what an SBF file is. I'm also rooted, overclocked and wirelessly tethering to help friends and iPod Touch owners in a pinch. I've got 500+ GBA/NES/SNES/Genesis games that have made me more nostalgic than I care to explain. That's not even close to where I was going with my post. Maybe I missed it but what does root have to do with what I said or the leak? Regardless, I'm perfectly comfortable experimenting and have actually used the SBF file already... failed experiment :) It's just that I've got a few programs that aren't exactly "market-friendly" and shall go unnamed and I'd kill myself if I lost those to 2.2 or a leaked 2.2, for that matter. I know, I know.. SBF, backups, restore your phone, ad infinitum. I get it. I'm just done having to go back through and restore everything. Why not leak a nice, safe build, Motorola/Google? And then there's this, posted just a few hours ago. Good sign? Bad sign?

avt123

Reaction score
Some people just want to try out the latest and greatest. Also, the only problem I have is with my received SMS timestamps being 4 hours behind. I am perfectly fine with that right now. Everything else works beautifully, I have no reason to stay on 2.1.

donaldkunze

Reaction score
I am pretty happy that I put a little frozen yogurt on my X. This my first android phone, rooted it and became SUPERUSER! Then messed up my root access with 2.2. Couldnt bare the thought of not having rooted access(only god knows why). So I got the SPF, rsd lite and the patch. Messed that up, kinda turned the phone into a doorstop temporarily. Fixed that.

All in all it was a good experience, glad i had problems. Now, I have some experience, and the tools handy to fix this thing when I mess it up later.
And WHEN a new version rolls out, I WILL happily do it all again.
Nothing lost, only knowledge gained.
This board is a wealth of information, Thanks people!

donballz

Reaction score
There is a selection bias with things like this. People who have problems are 1000x more likely to be vocal about it than someone like me, who with no rooting/hacking experience at all was able to apply this update. Since then, I haven't had any problems at all. Froyo isn't the dramatic improvement I was hoping for but its cool being on the cutting edge.

JustSumDude

Reaction score
I have an infinity g35 (car). My droidx on 2.1 had problems Bluetooth pairing with the car. I upgraded to 2.2 froyo, and the issue is resolved. I can talk using the built in hands free again.

I've seen no downsides to upgrading. And flash is nice too.

tobytl

Reaction score
My post, succinctly summed up into a single sentence. Well done, sir :icon_ lala:
Well, yea, that goes without saying. It's not coming from Verizon, it's not guaranteed in any way to actually work. (Though for me it does just fine).
If you don't know what an SBF is, and aren't willing to learn, you _should not_ be playing around with root. At all.
I'm well aware what an SBF file is. I'm also rooted, overclocked and wirelessly tethering to help friends and iPod Touch owners in a pinch. I've got 500+ GBA/NES/SNES/Genesis games that have made me more nostalgic than I care to explain. That's not even close to where I was going with my post. Maybe I missed it but what does root have to do with what I said or the leak? Regardless, I'm perfectly comfortable experimenting and have actually used the SBF file already... failed experiment :) It's just that I've got a few programs that aren't exactly "market-friendly" and shall go unnamed and I'd kill myself if I lost those to 2.2 or a leaked 2.2, for that matter. I know, I know.. SBF, backups, restore your phone, ad infinitum. I get it. I'm just done having to go back through and restore everything. Why not leak a nice, safe build, Motorola/Google? And then there's this, posted just a few hours ago. Good sign? Bad sign?

I was using the royal you, the in general you, the hypothetical "you" as it were. Not you specifically, but users in general. And I took it for wrote that one should not be playing around with unofficial OTAs without root. You run the same risks, and in some cases higher risks. It also technically voids your warranty (take a look at the TOS, installing any OS or update that doesn't specifically come from Verizon is an expressed no no). To me, it's in the same realm as rooting, and requires the same skill sets to get you out of problems.

What I was trying to express was simply, if you're not comfortable with root and all that it entails, you shouldn't be playing with any updates that Verizon didn't send to you. (again, the royal you). Because we *are* beta testers for this sort of thing, and everyone should know that before proceeding. Most of us are well aware, and perfectly willing.

I'll put every leaked OTA on my phone so long as there's a way to get back because I like playing with things. It's 90% of the reason I use android phones in the first place.

That's why, I, do it. Given what you laid out, I wouldn't do it either. But I have no attachments to my apps, if it goes screwy it's an easy restore and a chance I can live with.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Leak a stable release? That made me rotflmao ....

MS did that once, the released Win 7 after the beta called vista, which was the second iteration of Windows ME a few years back.

As to the C&D, likely because of BLUR or swype, not from the OS itself.

It kinda sucks, but the OEM's are going to continue to place their own UI on top of android, until Google just kills that. (First!)

It's too bad IMO that If Google continued a development with HTC of the nexus line, and actually put the thing in stores so the general public could have played with them, it would have been a larger hit than it was, and would have put pressure on ALL the OEM's to get ri of their own customized UI's, as to leave it would dely updates to the OS.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
To the OP: I get where you're coming from. I was rather excited when I first got the X knowing it was slated to get 2.2 shortly after the release. But after seeing delay after delay (were they really delays though?), I finally resigned myself to thinking accepting that I'll get it when I get it. There's nothing I can do to change that.

I do consider myself quite tech-literate as far as computers go, but when it comes to cell phones and other such devices, I just let those do their thing.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I installed it just fine and kept all my SU access. The only problem I am having is a FC when I click on the detailed battery usage. But I gained Flash, working wifi with N speeds, faster phone, better battery going on 36 hours and only down 50 %. So I think it was a pretty good trade off. Everything is a risk, walking outside your house is a risk but you still do it. If you know what you are doing things will be ok.

OP
Mr X

Mr X

Reaction score
I am pretty happy that I put a little frozen yogurt on my X. This my first android phone, rooted it and became SUPERUSER! Then messed up my root access with 2.2. Couldnt bare the thought of not having rooted access(only god knows why). So I got the SPF, rsd lite and the patch. Messed that up, kinda turned the phone into a doorstop temporarily. Fixed that.

All in all it was a good experience, glad i had problems. Now, I have some experience, and the tools handy to fix this thing when I mess it up later.
And WHEN a new version rolls out, I WILL happily do it all again.
Nothing lost, only knowledge gained.
This board is a wealth of information, Thanks people!
Truly, honestly glad you learned something from that experience.. buuuut... your post just convinced me to wait.

Regardless, I'm a little bit concerned that 2.2 isn't bringing the unicorns and orgasms everyone was waiting for. Sounds to me like there's a little problem regarding the JIT's compatibility with the X? At least from what I've read, the improvement in terms of MFLOPS doesn't seem to be where it should be. Can anyone confirm or deny this? As far as I know, 2.2 for the X brings Flash, a slightly improved interface experience (faster, smoother etc) but nothing like leaps and bounds we all hoped for? **PLEASE** correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, one of my favorite things in the world is going back to play all the Nintendo and SNES games from my childhood. Truly an amazing experience. So if 2.2 improves that, even if only marginally, it'll probably be my phone for the entire two years of the contract instead of the few months I was planning on keeping it until Verizon rolled out their 4G Androids.