I'm new to the whole DROID X

mcsinfl

Reaction score
Well, you got the truck wrong, but you got the phone right LOL

enjoy

Brokenartist

Reaction score
I would say first things first is just to play with it. Get used to how everything woks as well as all the buttons and features on it. Then go into the market and download some apps. The only way to get used to the phone is to learn from example.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
rooting is the process of accessing the locked system files to allow more customization. It is against Verizon policy and will void your warranty if they find out (unlikely)

OP
L

Liftedpowerstroke

Reaction score
I've played around with the phone for the last few hours...My wife is wanting one but She don't want to pay for the extra $30 bucks a month on both phones... thats $60 bucks extra...I'd like to drop our Broadband card and use just the phone so that would be putting us back to the same cost...But Verizon charges for the tethering. I've already heard theres ways around this. maybe some one can help me out via PM Messages....:)
And MCSINFL.....You gotta love the Powerstrokes.....:)

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I love the Fords, if they could figure out how to make a motor. you 8 cylinder guys...

i'll stick with my cummins bottom end that has proven to hold 1000hp with no modifications. every hear of 5 carrying 8 vs 7 carrying 6? I have 7 main bearings supporting 6 pistons, you have 5 supporting 8. and it's been proven over and over and over than an inline 6 configuration IS the most efficient diesel.

Ford makes the best platform, I hope this Scorpion motor works for them...in the meantime, have fun with your blown headgaskets/turbos, etc :)

Back on topic, you need to root the phone to tether, it's not hard, but you can screw it up and brick your phone. I stopped using my laptop shortly after I got the droid and dropped the $60 plan (I was at end of contract)

OP
L

Liftedpowerstroke

Reaction score
I love the Fords, if they could figure out how to make a motor. you 8 cylinder guys...

i'll stick with my cummins bottom end that has proven to hold 1000hp with no modifications. every hear of 5 carrying 8 vs 7 carrying 6? I have 7 main bearings supporting 6 pistons, you have 5 supporting 8. and it's been proven over and over and over than an inline 6 configuration IS the most efficient diesel.

Ford makes the best platform, I hope this Scorpion motor works for them...in the meantime, have fun with your blown headgaskets/turbos, etc :)

Back on topic, you need to root the phone to tether, it's not hard, but you can screw it up and brick your phone. I stopped using my laptop shortly after I got the droid and dropped the $60 plan (I was at end of contract)

My old 7.3 has just over 235k miles and its (knock on wood) is running like a champ... BUT the guy that i got my 7.3 from has a 08 with just over 110K and its a P.O.S....and yea the head gasket is gone....he's stuck in a rut with that truck.....If i didn't own the 7.3 I'd definatly be in the 5.9 Cummings....I really wish i had the 5.9 in my Ford....(I am a Mopar Man by heart:))

"BACK TO TOPIC" only reason i want internet besides on the phones is my wife uses the IMac at the house and I use the Laptop at work....

Another question maybe yall can answer... I've got a jump drive with a lot of stuff on it....Resume' word documents, pictures, is there a way to attach a file via the jumpdrive to an email....Using the Droid?

mcsinfl

Reaction score
7.3's are decent motors. and us Cummins guys get upset when it's called a Cummings LOL, and no, Ford does not and never did own Cummins, at one time they owned a small share, in case you were wondering (all Ford guys think Ford owns Cummins :) )

To be a bit more clear on tethering, yes, Verizon does charge for their tethering service, but if you root you can free tether, at least for now. if you're interested, pm me and I will help

As for moving from the jump drive to the droid/emailing from the droid, sure, several ways, here's a couple options, there may be easier methods, but here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

1. copy jump drive to pc, plug in phone to the pc, copy files to phone (I would create a folder(s) on the phones sd card to keep it separate). Create new email, type in to/subject/text, hit the menu button which gives the option of adding an attachment.

2. Start using Google Documents. Since getting my phone, I have put my faith in google. All the important files I need access to I upload to google docs, so I have access wherever I am. I haven't tried emailing a file from google docs, but you will have access to it from your phone.

If anyone else has other methods, please chime in

eliassami5

Reaction score
no you dont need to be rooted to tether..you can find many tethering apps in the market. If you want to WIRELESSLY tether then yes you have to be rooted. Root has just been found for the X but it would be very complicating for a person who hasn't rooted before so i suggest you not try it till you are very comfortable with your phone.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
no you dont need to be rooted to tether..you can find many tethering apps in the market. If you want to WIRELESSLY tether then yes you have to be rooted. Root has just been found for the X but it would be very complicating for a person who hasn't rooted before so i suggest you not try it till you are very comfortable with your phone.

thanks, forgot about that

and to clarify, learning the jargon and getting set up/knowing what you're doing (I barely do) takes a big learning curve. The actual process only takes a few minutes and is fairly simple

OP
L

Liftedpowerstroke

Reaction score

and to clarify, learning the jargon and getting set up/knowing what you're doing (I barely do) takes a big learning curve. The actual process only takes a few minutes and is fairly simple

mcsinfl, I see that in your post you have something on your sons that says "ChevyNo1 SS4.5 ULV 7 slot 1ghz" What does this mean?
This seems like this phone is WAY beyond my capabilities...LOL......I'm gonna get with you on the tethering maybe tomorrow...

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I'm busy till late afternoon tomorrow but am available the rest of the weekend, PM me and hopefully I can point you in the right direction, and if I can't help there are lots of talented people on the forum that can, I'm just an end user enthusiast, some people here actually turn 0's and 1's into cool stuff that we can use

eliassami5

Reaction score

The procedure to root the DROID X is much much more complicated than for the Motorola DROID, pretty much anybody can root a DROID without incident, but the X is not that easy.