Swapping phones on VZW and rooting Droid X

mchoffa

Reaction score
Ok, first I need to find out what the process is for swapping phones on verizon. My new every two is up in July, so wife and I will get whatever is awesome this summer... but for now, we need to add a line for my daughter. My thought was to get a refurbed Droid X which is $99 on VZW site, then swap it for my phone once it comes in the mail, and she can have my original Droid.

The question is, since we don't just get to swap sim cards, can I deactivate the X on line 3, deactivate the droid on line 1, then activate the X on line 1, then reactivate the droid on line 3? or do I need some 3rd phone activated in between those steps like this?: deactivate X > activate Z, deactivate D > activate X, deactivate Z > activate D

and if that's the case, considering I am on the special smartphone only cheaper unlimited talk/text/data plan (see news section if you don't know what i mean), would phone Z also need to be a smartphone?

last but not least, but unrelated, is the Droid X easy to root like the Droid is, or am I better off choosing a different newer phone? I use tethering on my rooted droid for my iPad, so I would need that option

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Z4root will work on dx so it's very easy....an myself I would shy away from the refurbs you taking a shot in the dark if it's going to Work or not I no people that have went threw 5 and there Still not right so I would just bit the bullet and get a new 1....and it's easy to switch lines just call them on your land line when it comes in it will take 5min to swap them over I always do this with my sister when she wants a new phone

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
thanks, glad it's easy to swap...

the only reason i was looking at refurbs, or certified pre-owned as they call it, is that they're only $99 vs $199 new... since we're looking at getting something really new in july, didn't want to spend a whole lot, considering I will only be using it 5 months and then it will probably be my daughter's...

the only decent phone that's currently $99 is the r2d2, and not really interested in the droid 2, or the incredible