I'M BACK!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I picked up the G3 on opening day. I loved it except for the radios. I wasn't impressed with the radio quality. After dabbling in the iPhone 6 and Droid Turbo, I've come back to the G3. While the radios might not be as good as the Turbo, the phone operates suprisingly better than the Turbo. The LG UI is so much better than the completely rediculously stock Moto UI. The screen's better too. I didn't realize how much I missed the extra .3" of real estate, but I did. Also, I'm an IPS man, not an AMOLED man. AMOLED is just too sharp for me.

To top it all off (and the reason I returned) G3 talks and surfs at the same time out of the box with no update of finessing required. (We never could get my Turbo to do both. Even after the update, even though everyone else's Turbo works.)

Just setting it back up reminds me how much I actually missed this phone.

So... I'm home LG!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just bought one of these a couple of days ago for one of my many children. I played with it last night.

I had originally skipped using it for myself since most reviews I saw on it the screen was dim. Come to find out it must have been because they had auto brightness on. The screen on the one I purchased is plenty bright.

However, the camera is horrible. Even with HDR on most pictures turn out blurry. Is there no way to get a sports mode or something?

Other than the camera the phone has really impressed me.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Hummm. Camera is usually the high point of the G3. I never had any issues taking a photo before. Were you zoomed in or in low light? Normally those are the only reason the photos turn out blurry.

Here's one taken at my desk just now. Plenty of light, though.
1219141239_zps047df214.jpg

Here's one I took in very low light with my previous G3.
0726142032b_zps2eec07a4.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK now take one of something moving. Still objects are just fine.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Ah, ok. moving. For moving, you have to tap on the item that you want to be still. It will focus in on that object and everything else will be blurry. I can't take one now, because nothing is moving. It is really difficult to do. Nothing like they show in the commercial. They make it seem easy in the commercial. It takes some practice.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I will try burst mode or maybe even another camera app.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will try burst mode or maybe even another camera app.
Try changing your iso settings. When on full auto the iso defaults to about 50-100 , making moving targets nearly impossible to get crisp. Set it to 200 is a good starting point. It'll reduce depth a little but should help get the object more sharp.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Try changing your iso settings. When on full auto the iso defaults to about 50-100 , making moving targets nearly impossible to get crisp. Set it to 200 is a good starting point. It'll reduce depth a little but should help get the object more sharp.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

I'm not seeing any ISO settings in this phone.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I'm not seeing any ISO settings in this phone.
There's no ISO setting on the G3. Maybe they'll add it in a later version, but I doubt it. I'd have to look at my G2 to see if there's an ISO on it. Burst mode, another camera app, or tapping on the moving object is going to be your best bet.

Here are some other tips from another site. (Hopefully I won't get in trouble?)

Top 8 LG G3 camera tips and tricks Android Central

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
e64e1c18e002c5ca461c4ab32597d1a1.jpg

T-Mobile G2 camera settings.
Bummer that they left it off the G3

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I'm sure we can get it from a different app in the Play store, but not native to the G3 stock app.

So, if that's your G2, I'm betting my VZW G2 at home has the same setting. I'm curious now. I'll take a look tonight.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we can get it from a different app in the Play store, but not native to the G3 stock app.

So, if that's your G2, I'm betting my VZW G2 at home has the same setting. I'm curious now. I'll take a look tonight.
Camera Zoom FX is the best aftermarket camera I've used. It's not free but it was well worth the money to me when I bought it. Native cameras are a lot better than they were a few years back so I haven't used it on the G2 or Note4

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think burst mode is the way to go for moving objects. Still haven't tried it, but other than that this phone is beast.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think burst mode is the way to go for moving objects. Still haven't tried it, but other than that this phone is beast.
I use sport mode for moving objects. Not sure if the G3 has that though.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think Samsung support can do this. I read something along the lines when researching a passcode lock problem.

Edit: No they can't.

I use sport mode for moving objects. Not sure if the G3 has that though.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

No, there isn't a sports mode. I saw something over on XDA that I am going to try though.