From VS98512B to 10B, back to 12B but Rooted

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I wanted to share my experiences with Verizon’s LG G3 software recovery, rooting, and why I went back to VS98512B. I know that there are threads covering rooting. I also know there are threads covering going back to stock, but I haven’t seen one covering how to be rooted with 12B. Of course I might have missed it. After all, my wife says I’m not very observant. (I’ve made links in the words to the sites I used if you’re interested in doing this yourself. As always, only you are responsible if you break your device.)

So, to start:

I wanted root access. I was on VS98512B and saw no way to gain root with that version of VZW’s software. (I did not try Stump Root while on 12B to begin with. It might have worked, but I can neither confirm, nor deny.) After reading several posts, it looked like there were two thoughts for Verizon LG G3 owners wanting to go back to 10B.

One of them (KDZ method) had me going back to 10B_01, but that wouldn’t allow me to take any updates. At least not according to the notes. Why would I want to update? More on that in a minute. Also, it was not easy to follow and actually seem to be a little tougher to do.

The second one (and one I went with) was the TOT method, as it uses 10B_03 which can be updated. Simple and straight forward, that is after I found a different link from XDA. The XDA post didn’t have a file that I needed to perform the restore. However, the link I used for the TOT method had all the files I needed and worked great. (I plan on asking the XDA developer where the missing file is, or if he know it’s missing, or once again, did I not get it because of my failure to be observant.)

After restoring back to 10B and performing the minimum amount of work to get the phone back operational, I rooted using Stump Root. It worked fine, but I can say that I had to let it "Brute Force" the root. It took about 4 minutes before it asked me to reboot.

Then I updated to 11C. Checked to make sure I still had root. I did, so I updated to 12B. I still had root then, so I performed an FDR, and now I’m in the process of restoring all apps, etc. I still have root access, so this will be my last update.

Why did I update? The 12B update actually drastically improved the battery life when using GPS. Anyone that used the G3 and GPS a lot noticed a huge drain prior to the 12B update. Also, I noticed an improvement on holding a LTE signal with 12B. There’s a spot in my house where I jump back to 3G on 10B and 11C, but 12B it stays on LTE. I never jump back to 3G.

Now, I’ve said all of this to help out anyone that wants to root from 12B, is afraid to. Also, if anyone is stuck on 10B and afraid to update because they might lose root, I wanted to let you know that you can go up to 12B.

Will I go to Lollipop? Not with this G3. I have updated about as far as I care to. My phone works great on 12B, and now that it’s rooted, I can use my Tasker app and make it do everything I want it to do.

Signed,
Finally Happy with his G3

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Just an FYI, you also might see my post on "another" website as I am a member of more than one Android Forum ;)

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Thanks for this guide, Scotty. Oddly enough, I found the KDZ method much easier to use. I would have preferred to use the TOT method so I could upgrade as you did, but for some reason I couldn't get the ports to show in Device Manager (no matter how many times I reinstalled the drivers), so I couldn't change the COM port as instructed. Since changing it wasn't necessary with KDZ, I went with that and used Stump Root (Brute Force here as well).

I really want to be on 12B, but I've been too busy to carve out time to install TWRP and flash Jasmine ROM. Maybe I'll do that when my sweetie's out of town next week. He's pretty much bumfuzzled by my tech geekery anyway. ;)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Well, I don't know if you want to try it again, but if you do, here's what I had to do.

1st, in device manager, click on view and make sure that Show hidden devices is checked.
2nd, and here's what I had to do on a Windows 7 computer, uninstall all LG Drivers.
Then, plug in the phone, put it in download mode,
Finally install the drivers with the phone plugged in and device manager up.

Once the drivers got instlled, they find the phone and install the phone. Device manager refreshes a few times, then the Ports show up so that you cna swithc to 41.