Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry to hear that Steve.
I've never had a problem with any of my Sammy devices, and I've traveled all over the country with mine. On the same token, I've heard of plenty of folks that have, so it could just be the luck of the draw, with a sprinkling of "location location location" thrown in.
Frustrating regardless! What device are you looking to go with now?

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be area related Jeffrey. I always hear how Samsung phones have such great reception. Not for me in this area. My G2 was stellar. And the G3 was right up there with Motorola reception levels at first. Network data reception seems to have fallen off drastically over the last month in any area I am at. Wifi is all good.
When they upgrade cells to something new things usually are worse for about a month to 6 weeks while the tweak it and get it best. Could it be the ltex, or whatever they call it, just went live or is about to in your area? Over the decades I was with Verizon I remember 1x being new, evdo being new, the tv thing (15 channels and I'd watch Star Trek after work each day with my newborn on my LG 2700) being new, lte being new and with each upgrade and addition of new signal the existing would get extra wonky for a while. It was when they started shutting cells down, taking my signal from craptacular to worse I finally left.
You might call and ask if they're upgrading your area or did so recently. A wind/thunder storm could have knocked an LTE cell out of its sweet spot and they just need to tweak it back if it's only happening in a small area also.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
LOL @scottysize I am going through the same thing. I just got an e-mail for $200 off an iPhone when you add a line on VZW. Seriously considering the 6 Plus. I too feel the same way about Android. I just find myself always wanting to make changes. And I am just not that into it anymore and honestly do not have the time. I haven't rooted a phone since my, well I honestly don't remember. LOL. I rooted my Nexus 7 but never did anything with the root access. I would still have Android to play with when the mood strikes on my N7. Just won't be doing it on my daily driver.
I understand. Of course a few days after I wrote this and bought the iPhone 6+, the LG G4 was announced and I found out I'm getting an evaluation G4, so I will continue to rock 2 devices. As for the iPhone, it does just work, and no, there's no lag, WiFi, LTE issues on mine.

I rooted my G3 and it was a big pain because it had received updates so I had to downgrade it back to an earlier version before I could root. Then I never did anything with the root. I found myself wondering what the purpose of root is anymore.

I personally would wait a few more months and get the next generation since it is just around the corner. I have the i6 Plus and it is ok. The "it just works" however, is just not the case. The wifi and cellular signals are the weakest of any of the phones in my household and we have 6 different phones. The Bluetooth is also crap. You cannot file transfer anything, the range from my back pocket to my headphones stutters music, and it acts wonky with my car.

I believe that it is the unibody metal casing that causes all of the issues. My protective case for it is minimal so I know that is not the cause.

It stutters and lags which I haven't experienced since the Galaxy S3. They skimped on the ram and it shows.

It is difficult to see the screen in direct sunlight as well. The screen is encased in a huge body. The phone is simply too large versus the screen size.

All is not lost though. It does take decent photos. Where I find my Note Edge is better at it you can't really go wrong with the 6 as a point and shooter.

There are also a slew of cases for it which gives you a gazillion options to personalize it. I went with a case from UAG. It is sleek yet super protective.

If you are into the cloud thing then iOS is for you. Their backup system is the closest thing that I have seen to a Nandroid yet. The backup and restore feature is awesome.
Wow. Nope. I have none of these issues. In fact, I have a better signal than my wife's Sammy G5. The only issue I have, is the same one I've always had, the hotspot doesn't like anything other than Apple products using it. Since I've got a Macbook Pro and iPads, that's not a huge problem any more.

As for the Bluetooth, I connect my headphones and leave the phone in the living room, then clean the house without ever loosing the signal. That's way over 30 feet.

You have lag? I have none. It's buttery smooth compared to Lollipop. No lag, but I do continually close programs out of habit with my Android devices, so maybe that's your problem?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Was just reminded of the biggest PITA with Android. Hasn't happened in quite a while. But finally took the Lollipop update and it caused all kinds of issues. Spent hours trying to resolve it and finally had to resort to doing an fdr. There is a few more hours lost getting everything restored and set back up. I used to not mind doing it. It was kinda fun. Now it is just a hindrance. Especially happening on a beautiful holiday weekend. I should have just kept on ignoring the update.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
When they upgrade cells to something new things usually are worse for about a month to 6 weeks while the tweak it and get it best. Could it be the ltex, or whatever they call it, just went live or is about to in your area? Over the decades I was with Verizon I remember 1x being new, evdo being new, the tv thing (15 channels and I'd watch Star Trek after work each day with my newborn on my LG 2700) being new, lte being new and with each upgrade and addition of new signal the existing would get extra wonky for a while. It was when they started shutting cells down, taking my signal from craptacular to worse I finally left.
You might call and ask if they're upgrading your area or did so recently. A wind/thunder storm could have knocked an LTE cell out of its sweet spot and they just need to tweak it back if it's only happening in a small area also.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Could possibly chalk it up to that. But it is happening in several areas. I was in Baltimore last weekend and near Reading PA the weekend before. Both are over 100 miles from home. Same issues. My girlfriends 5S was fine.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I like iOS but I'd never consider it. I hate having to look at every app ever installed on my home screens. And not being able to arrange the icons how I want is mind numbing.

TapaTurbo

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Was just reminded of the biggest PITA with Android. Hasn't happened in quite a while. But finally took the Lollipop update and it caused all kinds of issues. Spent hours trying to resolve it and finally had to resort to doing an fdr. There is a few more hours lost getting everything restored and set back up. I used to not mind doing it. It was kinda fun. Now it is just a hindrance. Especially happening on a beautiful holiday weekend. I should have just kept on ignoring the update.
Ouch. You know better than to take the first version of a new Android OS! Good luck ;)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like iOS but I'd never consider it. I hate having to look at every app ever installed on my home screens. And not being able to arrange the icons how I want is mind numbing.

TapaTurbo

What I did was create one folder with all of my apps in it. Bam. Instant Android apps drawer.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
What I did was create one folder with all of my apps in it. Bam. Instant Android apps drawer.
One thing I was worried about was having a cluttered home screen. Found out you can clear the home screen of all but one icon. Seems a little better. Still don't like not being able to change icons for apps and folders. My ocd will suffer. LOL

Tap'd from my LG G3

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
One thing I was worried about was having a cluttered home screen. Found out you can clear the home screen of all but one icon. Seems a little better. Still don't like not being able to change icons for apps and folders. My ocd will suffer. LOL

Tap'd from my LG G3
Ya. I actually use it like Windows 3.11. (Which I find hilarious because Jobs hated Windows 3.11, but then his mobile iOS is really just Windows 3.11.) Everything's in a folder labeled by a generic term IE: Entertainment for Netflix, etc.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

Yep....and that ONE folder lives on the upper left of your screen. Can't put it on the lower right. Lower left. Heck, not even upper right.

That I cannot stand. Nor fathom. You really can't even give up that modicum of control, Apple? One of the reasons I hate Windows Phone too. The tiles are similarly not easy to arrange the way you REALLY want them...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

Tap'd from my LG G3

Yep....and that ONE folder lives on the upper left of your screen. Can't put it on the lower right. Lower left. Heck, not even upper right.

That I cannot stand. Nor fathom. You really can't even give up that modicum of control, Apple? One of the reasons I hate Windows Phone too. The tiles are similarly not easy to arrange the way you REALLY want them...

My app drawer on my i6 Plus is in the same position as my Note Edge. You can place it down on the app dock and mine is placed in the bottom right corner. This is not an issue. My home screen is nothing but a wallpaper.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
You aren't seriously trying to defend Apple on this one, are you?
Come on now...
;)
Funny. We all like to do things differently. Unfortunately I still can't find the perfect device, but a combination of the iPhone 6 Plus and LG G2 seems to be working for me.