Im a newb. help me overclock

loyl2thagme

Reaction score
First off, hello everyone :) . I am new to the forums.

I need help overclocking my phone. I know I need to download "SETcpu" and I can do that. Afterwords I am looking for step by step directions on how to do this. I don't know the forum lingo, so in plain english, and tell me like your telling a stupid person so I don't miss anything.

I want to set it to be overclocked, but nothing dangerous remotely. Just looking to boost it up a bit. I still want battery life though.

I have the original motorola droid. I have rooted it, put on cynoagen (sp?) 6.0 something. I almost failed at that, but I did factory reset and it loaded it on correctly. I also have ROM manager on there. Thanks in advance for your help your awesome!!!

Lastly, I apologize if I put this in the wrong place, or if I broke any other forum rule.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you download SetCPU it's pretty self-explanatory. Move the sliders to how high and low you want your max and min and that's it, you're overclocked

OP
L

loyl2thagme

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I guess my concern is that I overdue it. So I am trying to get some safe settings from someone very experienced in the field

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh i see. well depends on what kernel you have. what you can do is download setcpu and see what the min/max of your kernel is. if you're worried about battery life and just want a little bit of power i think 800 should be fine, and you don't have to worry about overdoing it. to be honest, people have been overclocking their phones for two years so chances are you're safe even taking it up to 1.2GHz, but of course batt life may suffer then

OP
L

loyl2thagme

Reaction score
under info in setcpu, it says "Linux version 2.6.32.9-cm-stk (mtwebster@eng-laptop)(gcc version 4.4.0 (gcc) #1 preempt sat nov 13th 17:34:43 est 2010

whats the max I should go with, with this in mind?

Rento

Reaction score
... That's your SetCPU version... Push menu > settings > about phone > Kernel Version.

Regardless of who makes your kernel, EVERY phone is different. Some people can clock to 1.2Ghz and get better battery life on someone overclocked to 800Mhz. You have to try every kernel out there, go through bootloops, go through trial and error.

Good Luck.

OP
L

loyl2thagme

Reaction score
2.6.32.9-cm-stk (mtwebster@eng-laptop) is what it says for kernal version. would i be safe to go to 800000? its at 600000 right now. 800000 is the max setcpu shows on 'main' screen for max

Rento

Reaction score
You'll be fine at 800 i'm sure, that's a very safe and reliable speed. Atleast for me it is.