ICS Rooted on the Motorola Droid RAZR now with simple One Click Method

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

Yesterday we announced that the Droid Razr had officially been rooted. The process however was not a straight forward process, and required that you connect your phone to the pc and run a list of commands in a command prompt. While that method is by no means hard it's always nice when developers make things Super Easy and give us a One Click solution. Hacker812c of XDA has put together just that. Just download the Root-ICS.zip, Extract the zip to the desktop, Open it and choose your version either Windows or Linux. Its that easy. You will need to make sure that your device is in Mass storage mode (MTP mode).

Grab the file Via DroidRZR.com

georgeo18yal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
This is when you know you've been waiting to long for an OS update to come out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If it works for the RAZR, it works for the MAXX, seeing as how they are identical motherboards.

PrymalDark

Reaction score
Is this just to root a device that is already running ICS? I am still on Gingerbread, since no ICS OTA has been released.

Can anyone suggest a stable ICS rom for the RAZR? Also, ICS will not remove my USB Tethering option, will it? My phone is my only internet connection, and I use USB Tether every day.

Thanks guys,
Prymal'Dark

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
didn't work for me

I never said it was sure to work, just that IF it worked on the RAZR it would also on the MAXX.

The only way I am sure that will root for the RAZR & MAXX are the methods described by MattLGroff (aka Batman). There are essentially two ways to get root on ICS. One is to root and protect root with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then temp unroot (though some said it stayed without the temp unroot), before the upgrade, and the second is to upgrade, then temporarily downgrade the kernal (the earlier kernal has the exploit, the newer one doesn't), then root, then return to the newer kernel and run a fixer script from my recollection.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is this just to root a device that is already running ICS? I am still on Gingerbread, since no ICS OTA has been released.

Can anyone suggest a stable ICS rom for the RAZR? Also, ICS will not remove my USB Tethering option, will it? My phone is my only internet connection, and I use USB Tether every day.

Thanks guys,
Prymal'Dark

Yes, this is to root ICS AFTER the fact, if you are already on ICS and hadn't rooted and protected successfully before, however as I said in the post right before this, I am not attesting to the validity of this claim and one-touch exploit.

As for a "stable" version of ICS, from what I've read and what I experienced myself with the very first leak, it appears they are ALL stable. The questions you might want to ask are which version(s) will still allow you to Fastboot back to Gingerbread .181 and get back on the OTA track. For that, it's the versions in the .7# group. Anything after .7# is not able to Fastboot back AFAIK. If anybody knows differently and I am wrong there, please feel free to clarify.

Also AFAIK USB Tethering works on ALL versions and I don't believe you will need to worry about that in future versions either. Whether Wireless Tether works or not is questionable. I know it works with the .7# versions because I had the earlier, I think it was .74 installed and had successfully tethered afterwards. I can not attest to the later versions since I was unwilling to jump off the OTA path and risk not being able to get back on.

mbell75

Reaction score
rooted an installed .210 last night. Not only do I have ICS now but my data drops seem to have stopped, I can get Foxfi working now. Don't really care about fast booting back when the OTA is released. If I decide I want the official release, I will just factory reset the phone and get it.

PrymalDark

Reaction score
Verizon ICS OTA Announced

I woke to a message from Verizon stating that my device will soon receive an ICS OTA.

I would like to modify permissions given to applications on my device. I always did that on my blackberry, however, have been unable to do so on this Droid. Will rooting allow me access to the tools needed to do this? Will I need to use a custom rom, or is option present in stock builds, and merely hidden?

Thanks,
Prymal'Dark

Original Verizon message:
Free Verizon Message: Your phone will soon be upgraded to Android 4.0. At that time we will remove your Verizon Wireless Mobile IM app because it is not supported on Android 4.0. Please download a new instant messaging app to use IM on your phone. Thank you for using Mobile IM!

PrymalDark

Reaction score
Verizon ICS OTA Announced

Duplicate post

Last edited: