Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) On Droid 2

Zagazeta

Reaction score
Does anyone think that Ice Cream Sandwich will ever be available on the Droid 2?
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably not as an official OTA but perhaps pieces of it can be incorporated into future ROMs.

OP
Z

Zagazeta

Reaction score
What is the probability of developers making a (ICS) ROM?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this point, I believe the D2 is just about dead as far as development goes.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doubt you'll see a full port but I'm sure elements will be implemented into future ROMs.

LocoRon

Reaction score
Considering Google wanted to press manufacturers to support devices with the latest version of Android for ~18 months from release (barring any reasonable hardware limitations), I fully expect to receive ICS on my phone (unless, of course, ICS has some requirements the D2 does not meet...)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That announcement was made after the droid2, droidx, etc were launched. So sorry but we won't see an official build. Besides ICS on a single core 512mb ram device would probably be sluggish.

floobmonsrake

Reaction score
I disagree with everyone, I think the d2 will get ICS, not officially though. Once Cyanogen gets updated to cm9 or whatever it is all they have to do is get it working on d2. It will be able to run fine on the hardware too. Granted ICS is more resource intensive, you don't need duel cores to run a mobile OS. It was seen running on the nexus S fine, which has very comparable specs to the droid 2. If anything you would expect a new OS to take less power, not more. For the most part they just changed the look. Nothing to really eat up the processor.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Hard to say. I'm inclined to not think so though.... I'd be surprised if we see ICS updates for phones like the Droid 3 by Summer 2012. Even if Google wants to push manufacturers to support their older devices, the D2 will be edging up on 2 years old at that point, which for a smartphone these days is fairly old (in most cases).

But we'll have to see.

lizard

Reaction score
With cm7 my D2 is throwing quadrant scores that has everyone with a Bionic looking over their shoulder. What features can I expect from ICS to make my mouth water.