Droid 3 and the ice cream sandwich

PriscilaLila

Reaction score
Will the motorola droid 3 be updated to the ice cream sandwich os? My droid 3 runs on gingerbread 2.3.4 i'm hoping for update to the ice cream sandwich.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
My D3 is working so well I'm kind of afraid to get an update.

leobg

Reaction score
We still don't know what ICS hw requirements will be in terms of RAM specifically. If 512MB isn't enough, D3 will be left out in the dark...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

RobbieMan

Reaction score
Im sure we will get ICS in a ROM b4 we get a ota update.

OP
P

PriscilaLila

Reaction score
My droid is great, but im sure that with the ice cream sandwich it will be even better. Hope they dont keep us waiting too long for the update. :D

leobg

Reaction score
Let's hope it will take less than it took to bring Gingerbread to Droid2... if ever happens.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
From prior experience, it will seem like it takes forever.

spillner

Reaction score
We still don't know what ICS hw requirements will be in terms of RAM specifically. If 512MB isn't enough, D3 will be left out in the dark...

I can't believe that 512mg of ram isn't gonna be enough.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I can't believe that 512mg of ram isn't gonna be enough.

Nobody knows for sure, but I doubt thats a real issue considering all of the current generation of Sony Ericsson Xperia models including the Xperia arc and the Xperia ray will be updated. Both are 512k devices.

Reaction score
Knowing motorola....it could take quite a long time. Gingerbread was released in early december. Droid 2 got it in august/september. It took motorola 8-9 months. At that rate, we can expect ics on the droid 3 between the months of may and august of 2012. Assuming motorola decides to upgrade it to ics.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
There's no real reason the D3 wouldn't get ICS. I think the delay on getting GB was due to some other issues. But with Google aquiring Moto it'll speed up the update process.

LLR00717

leobg

Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure, but I doubt thats a real issue considering all of the current generation of Sony Ericsson Xperia models including the Xperia arc and the Xperia ray will be updated. Both are 512k devices.

It very much depends what shell is installed atop android. HTC sense for example struggles with 768MB on Gingerbread, they even refused to update Desire Z due to lack of enough memory to run Sense properly. Motorola's shell (BLUR) is not as heavy, but not as light as Sony's. D3 already struggles for RAM on Gingerbread. Those "screen reloads" people are complaining are direct result from RAM hunger.
We'll see, I guess.

nutpn

Reaction score
So the internal drive is just that a internal drive and so not connected to a way to partition to create more ram,right