I want control over notifications and ring/vibrate by type...

FrankH

Reaction score
I just bought a Droid after 10+years of Palm devices and phones (most recently a Palm Treo 650). The notifications on the Droid are missing a lot of functionality I loved and NEED from my Treo. Here are the issues in decreasing priority:

1. I want to be able to turn sounds off and on but I ALWAYS want it to vibrate - even when the sound is on.

2. I want to be able to automatically turn off notifications for emails (gmail) during sleeping times (11pm-8am) while keeping notifications from the calendar on ALWAYS. I use the calendar notification as an alarm clock.

3. I want to have each different kind of notification have a different sound.

4. For calendar notifications, I would like to have a reminder of 0 minutes - I can set 0 minutes on the desktop but not on the Droid.

5. Is there a list of all the notification types somewhere?

New to Droid and 1st posting on this forum so please excuse any stupid questions...

Thanks
Frank

lemodular

Reaction score
#1. you can do that natively
#2. there's a couple of apps that can help automate that (one uses GPS locilization)
#3. see #1
#4. can't answer
#5. list? don't know, but you can set the notification and vibrate individually by each "event" by going into its respective setup.

OP
F

FrankH

Reaction score
-- but how? I know I can turn down the volume of the ringer and just after you turn it off it goes to vibrate mode but I don't see how to have vibrate and ring at the same time. Also on my Palm, in a meeting, I could:
1. silently slide one switch to silence the phone and leave only vibrate on on.
But with the Droid I need to do the following:
1. Turn on the phone with the button on upper right
2. swipe to complete the turning on
3. - 10. press the volume down button 7 times enduring 7 decreasing tones during the meeting - making sure I stop just at the vibrate and don't go one time too far.
11. Turn the phone off.
So 11 steps (6 of them making noise in the meeting) compared to 1 silent step on the Treo. Is there an app to help with this?

#2. there's a couple of apps that can help automate that (one uses GPS locilization)
-- which apps please? Also, I don't want it to silence email notifications at home - just at night.

#3. see #1
-- I have now found how to do that for: email/gmail, text messages and calendar notificatitons. But aren't there other notifications/events too?

#3. see #1
#4. can't answer
#5. list? don't know, but you can set the notification and vibrate individually by each "event" by going into its respective setup.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
Within each app you can set it to provide vibrate notifications. It will always vibrate unless it's set to silent (yes it will vibrate & ring) .

I use locale to manage ring situations. I have a home profile setup that uses GPS to know I'm at home and turn the ringer on high. Another profile set by time that turns off the ringer for sleeping.