I thought I was going to pick up a Turbo but...

cyberlizard

Reaction score
...I see in the Motorola specs that the phone has A-GPS only. If my understanding of A-GPS is correct, the A-GPS function works only in the presence of a network (or WiFI) signal, which makes most of the GPS functions useless for me since I live near the edge of the network signal. I'm thinking (hoping) the spec must be incomplete since anyone using the phone for navigation purposes would be SOL as soon as they left network coverage. Can anyone confirm that the phone likely also has S-GPS and/or GPS capabilities?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
...I see in the Motorola specs that the phone has A-GPS only. If my understanding of A-GPS is correct, the A-GPS function works only in the presence of a network (or WiFI) signal, which makes most of the GPS functions useless for me since I live near the edge of the network signal. I'm thinking (hoping) the spec must be incomplete since anyone using the phone for navigation purposes would be SOL as soon as they left network coverage. Can anyone confirm that the phone likely also has S-GPS and/or GPS capabilities?
I'll check it out tomorrow.. See if I can help you with that.. Perhaps someone else knows now..

OP
cyberlizard

cyberlizard

Reaction score
I'll check it out tomorrow.. See if I can help you with that.. Perhaps someone else knows now..

Thanks 94lt1. I didn't get much help from the Verizon rep, and with conflicting info on the net, I can't help but to wonder. Of course, my plan right now is to pick up a phone on the 30th, and I'll have 2 weeks to determine if there is an issue "in the field", while I can still return the phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Right from Motorola's website...

Droid Turbo by Motorola on Verizon

45319a1e0be4e8cb1c286effb2309b1c.jpg

And from Wikipedia;

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

e3918f29387fefa9fe93cdd27523d6db.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Looks like without an internet connection, A-GPS (assisted), will not function. S-GPS (stand alone) will. And of course hybrid (combining both) will as well.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't have a. S-GPS too but it's sure strange that it's not mentioned. Perhaps they're just touting that it has the enhanced GPS performance.

OP
cyberlizard

cyberlizard

Reaction score
While in the store, the Verizon rep pulled up a spec list from the Big Red site that indicated both A-GPS and S-GPS capable. I tend to believe that, but I still don't like the conflicting info, especially when the Motorola site indicates only A-GPS. One of the other sites I found mentioned A-GPS and Glonass capability - hard to feel confident about the info out there. I guess I will find out for myself in a few hours now...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have to agree with the others that they'd be insane to make a phone with those specs and not include standalone gps. That's been the standard for quite some time now and they know people use these devices on the road and etc where coverage is sparse or non-existent.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It would be very easy to find out. Put the store phone into Airplane mode, activate the GPS, then launch Maps. If the GPS searching icon blinks in the status bar then it is S-GPS.

I wouldn't think it to be necessary though since I've never heard of a smartphone without a standalone GPS.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I think they mention A-GPS to tout it as a superior phone since it is an enhancement to the already on board GPS. Basically, "this phone is great because we've added better functionality".

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think they mention A-GPS to tout it as a superior phone since it is an enhancement to the already on board GPS. Basically, "this phone is great because we've added better functionality".
My thoughts exactly.

CT Raider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx (time 4 Turbo)
Put the store phone into Airplane mode, activate the GPS, then launch Maps. If the GPS searching icon blinks in the status bar then it is S-GPS.

Great idea!
Since I'm headed out now, and results have not been posted yet, it looks like I'll have to give this a try.
I love doing little experiments like this. :D