I thought I was going to pick up a Turbo but...

CT Raider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx (time 4 Turbo)
Turns out the Verizon Wireless Zone store didn't even have it in stock. o_O
So, thank you for posting your results!

turneja6535

Reaction score
It doesn't work for me. In airplane mode maps says "cannot connect to maps, please check your network and try again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It doesn't work for me. In airplane mode maps says "cannot connect to maps, please check your network and try again.

In Airplane mode, ALL radios are turned off, even GPS. Instead of Airplane mode to test, just turn off Mobile Data.

Go to Settings, click "Data Usage", then swith Mobile data "Off".

Now, without internet, it can't download the map data, so you won't be able to start a Navigation session - you will have to already be in Maps and showing your location before you try GPS. Then just walk a bit and see if the symbol for you on Maps shows you moving or not.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Yeah you have to activate the GPS after invoking airplane mode.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah you have to activate the GPS after invoking airplane mode.

Right, as an alternative to just turning off Mobile Data, you can go into Airplane mode and then turn on GPS directly.

Thanks, Ollie.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
HTC One (M8)
LG G3
Galaxy Note 3, Note 4
Galaxy S4, S5
Sony Experia Z3

Are you implying that those phones don't have standalone GPS? Because if you are, that's not correct. From personal experience, my Note 4, S5, and Note 3 all have/had standalone GPS.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Are you implying that those phones don't have standalone GPS? Because if you are, that's not correct. From personal experience, my Note 4, S5, and Note 3 all have/had standalone GPS.

According to these sites, these phones don't have standalone GPS. They all have A-GPS only. They don't have S-GPS

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Full phone specifications
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Full phone specifications
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Full phone specifications

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 specs
Samsung Galaxy S5 specs
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 specs

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Actually the three links at the bottom from PhoneArena.com),

Note 4 Phonearena.JPG

all say "GPS, A-GPS..." I would interpret GPS as S-GPS. Furthermore, in order to have A-GPS (Assisted GPS), you have to have S-GPS (Standalone GPS), in which to "assist" with the cellular towers and WIFI locations. You could theoretically have a phone without a GPS, and it could still do triangulation using Cellular towers and/or known WIFI locations (earlier phones did just that), but today I believe it's mandated that ALL cellular phones have GPS to enable the 911 service to locate a potential person in an emergency with the greatest accuracy. When a 911 call is enabled, it turns on ALL radios temporarily and initiates S-GPS and uses all available location information to best pinpoint where the call is coming from.