I need to retrieve my contacts

rsturgis0601

Reaction score
I just got a Droid X after my blackberry storm broke. My phone will do absolutely nothing but all of my contacts were backed up on the desktop manager, is there any way that I can get these contacts onto my Droid
progress.gif

somegeek

Reaction score
I had to do the same to get a .csv full of contacts imported. I imported them into gmail contacts. Added my gmail account to the contacts on the phone via more > manage accounts. Done. Now they stay in sync.

OP
R

rsturgis0601

Reaction score
I dont know how to do this with a broken phone and my contacts only being backed up on the DM. Could you walk me thru the steps of doing this if you wouldn't mind I would be happy to compensate you.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You weren't syncing the BB to anything? The BB backup files (IPD) can't be used as-is. you'd need something to extract the data from the IPD files. See if ABC Amber has a utility for this. If you can get the data into CSV format then you can pretty much load it anywhere are CSV's are fairly universal.

I'd also suggest that you start syncing as well as backing up. Synced data is a bit easier to deal with than a proprietary backup. In the case of the BB backups, they were really only intended for you to restore directly to your BB. However, as I said, there are some tools out there for working with the backup files.

OP
R

rsturgis0601

Reaction score
I have converted these files into CSV format, what is the next step

harrellj

Reaction score
Go to http://www.google.com/contacts and sign in with the same Google account as your phone has. There's an import button on the screen, click it and find your .csv file. Once it finishes, give it a few minutes for your phone to sync with Google and you'll have your contacts on the phone and synchronized with Google.