I Know It's In The House But I Can't Find It.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Motorola Keylink unveiled as accessory for finding keys, smartphone

How many times has this happened to you?

Keylink attaches to keyring, makes noise via app, button makes phone ring
Motorola has revealed an accessory which could help prevent people from losing their keys or their phone. The Motorola Keylink is designed to be attached to a key ring, and can be set to make a noise from a connected smartphone at a range of up to 100 feet if they are misplaced, with a button on the key fob able to trigger the smartphone's ringer as well.

While similar in concept to the Nokia Treasure Tag, Motorola's effort also adds in the ability to unlock a smartphone by being within a certain range. The second-generation Moto X, Droid Turbo, or any phone running Android Lollipop can alter the Trusted Device settings on their smartphone to keep the device unlocked while the Keylink is within range, re-enabling any passcode or other security if the two items are separated.

1416446026-md-motorolakeylink1.jpg

The Motorola Connect companion app for triggering the ringing function is available for both Android and iOS devices, with Motorola also making the Keylink able to withstand a little rain with its waterproofing. Battery life is said to be up to one year, as it uses a replaceable coin cell battery.

Shipping now, the Motorola Keylink is available from the manufacturer directly or T-Mobile, priced at $25.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Pretty sweet. It would be cool if key fob makers would bake this in so you didn't have to have another attachment on the key ring.

Bluetooth locks are next to be ordered at the house so having one fob would be where it's at.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I need one for my wife. She never knows where she left her phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

The ZOMM Wireless Leash (CES winner), ZOMM - Enhancing Lives through Technology has been available for quite some time, and although it doesn't have the range of the Keylink, it offers some additional features which may appeal to others. It doubles as a speakerphone so you can answer calls and talk without ever taking the phone out of your pocket, as long as the keyring is within range and also out to hear your voice in the call. It also has automatic alerts as one separates from the other for too far a distance.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm such a creature of habit, I tend to set me keys in one of like 1-2 different places in the house very consistently, but I did lose them before work a few weeks ago. Apparently I had set them on the end table near the door and they fell down behind the open umbrella that the gf had used to walk the little guy out to the bus.

Searched all over for them.

Unless the fob can be triggered to ring/beep (doesn't seem like it does), or the map can show me exactly what corner of my house it's in, instead of Google's "well, we know you're in this building here" GPS, I'm not sure it'd do me much good at all. And since it's pretty rare that I actually misplace one or the other (and I use Android Device Manager anyway, so I can ring my phone from PC or tablet), I think I'll pass.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it makes the phone make noise when set to silent it is THE accessory my wife and teen age daughters require.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm such a creature of habit, I tend to set me keys in one of like 1-2 different places in the house very consistently, but I did lose them before work a few weeks ago. Apparently I had set them on the end table near the door and they fell down behind the open umbrella that the gf had used to walk the little guy out to the bus.

Searched all over for them.

Unless the fob can be triggered to ring/beep (doesn't seem like it does), or the map can show me exactly what corner of my house it's in, instead of Google's "well, we know you're in this building here" GPS, I'm not sure it'd do me much good at all. And since it's pretty rare that I actually misplace one or the other (and I use Android Device Manager anyway, so I can ring my phone from PC or tablet), I think I'll pass.

Both the Nokia Treasure Tag and the ZOMM do alert you automatically if the two devices get too far apart. Think of the the tag as a wireless "luggage" tag with an invisible tether attached between them and their new close friend - your phone. Since they're "attached", they never want to be separated more than walking distance in a room from each other (like if they had a physical tether). So to find the keys if you're within range, take the phone to another room at the opposite end of the house, or turn off bluetooth, and the key fob will begin screaming automatically.

The Keylink must be activated in order to accomplish the same goal, so you either need to press the button on the Keylink to make the phone scream, or tap a button on the phone to make the Keylink scream. The only problem with this is, if you're already out of range this won't activate the alarms. The other two won't let you get out of range without alerting you to that fact. So one is active, the other reactive (but only if it's within range).

What I want is one that is both active if I want it to be, and reactive and connected to the phone via the internet (perhaps WIFI for the tether), so that if I happen to leave MY keys at home, and instead take my wife's (did that yesterday), I can still find MY keys miles away but hitting up the app. Then I can make the keys scream and scare the wife!! LOL.

However that will never happen because the Black and White ZOMM I have on my keys and the White and Blue one on her's will prevent it now that we have them... (he says sneakily as he activates the two he's had for months in the new packaging...)

Here's the Keylink's official blog' Finding Your Phone With the New Motorola Keylink - The Official Motorola Blog

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I know so many people who need these key fobs. I'm not one of them, but these could make for good "stocking stuffers" for Christmas

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One big problem with all of these is that you can only have ONE active connection in Bluetooth to the phone for Media Audio, and ONE active connection for Phone Audio at one time, meaning a maximum of two devices connected. Bluetooth needs to evolve to having multiple tether connections at once.

Either that or there needs to be yet another long-range Tethertooth technology created to supplement Bluetooth, giving non-voice and non-media devices their own tether capabilities. Then you could have literally a dozen or more of these things attached all over the place and be selective as to which one I want to trigger the alert for,

I could see wanting to have these attached to all manner of things I misplace. At this point, if I turn on my Bluetooth Headset to listen to music or make a phone call, I have to disconnect the tether... Now I misplace the keys and I'm screwed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One big problem with all of these is that you can only have ONE active connection in Bluetooth to the phone for Media Audio, and ONE active connection for Phone Audio at one time, meaning a maximum of two devices connected. Bluetooth needs to evolve to having multiple tether connections at once. I could see wanting to have these attached to all manner of things I misplace. At this point, if I turn on my Bluetooth Headset to listen to music or make a phone call, I have to disconnect the tether... Now I misplace the keys and I'm screwed.
Excellent point to keep in mind!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry Jonny, was still editing but thanks for ^ that.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry Jonny, was still editing but thanks for ^ that.
Haha! Still a great point. I really only use bluetooth on occasion in my car with the adapter that I bought on amazon, so I probably never would've realized this. Guess that makes it not a very big deal for me, as at least my keys would be close by if I got into the car since I lock it at all times, but good to know.

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
If you lost your keys can't you just ask Google? They know everything else about you :)

"OK Google. Where's my keys?"

"Under the couch cushion again."