i have the droid razr maxx hd

monkeyjjk

Reaction score
Is there anyway to remove the Google search bar. I'm sure if I root the phone I can get rid of it. I wish Verizon and Motorola let you have your own option to set the phone the way you want without root

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try going into manage apps. .all, Google search, and disable it..if you still can idk...I think you can...

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
You may first have to uninstall the updates, which will take you back to the stock Google Search app. Then you should be able to disable the app.

KaChow

Reaction score
The easiest way to get rid of that Google Search bar forever, is to install a launcher, here is a launcher well worth looking at Ligthning Launcher.The nice thing about this one in particular is there is no required donate to update option, I use Apex and have used Nova. Keep in mind if you are captured by the Circles clock/weather widget these launchers will not work with them. But, what these launchers do provide is full customization that is simply not an option on the stock launcher, in some cases not only can you remove the Google Search bar, but you could add the ICS version or JB if you wanted to. I always avoid disabling anything that is Google related, with Android programs feed off of each other, and if something is trying to feed off of a program that doesn't exist becuase it is blocked, then you start to notice a longer lag time, which leads to increased battery drainage and other problems.

I tend to look at our phones from this perspective, that we not only own them, but want to customize them the way we want. Sure there are more advanced ways to customize, but if you want to keep things simple, a Launcher is a great start, then you can add themes, icons, clocks, weather, calendars, the options are endless. Removing the Google Search bar, is as easy clicking on one of the links and installing it, try the launcher before you make it permanent or replace the stock homescreen.

Bradr

Reaction score
Removal of search bar

Is there anyway to remove the Google search bar. I'm sure if I root the phone I can get rid of it. I wish Verizon and Motorola let you have your own option to set the phone the way you want without root

Yes, you can remove however you will loose the voice to text from your keyboard. The only way to complete what you need and also keep all the functions of voice to text is to install the Apex Launcher from the play store and then remove the search bar like you would by removing any widget from the screen by dumping in trash. This launcher will also allow you to utilize the entire size of the screen.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yes, you can remove however you will loose the voice to text from your keyboard. The only way to complete what you need and also keep all the functions of voice to text is to install the Apex Launcher from the play store and then remove the search bar like you would by removing any widget from the screen by dumping in trash. This launcher will also allow you to utilize the entire size of the screen.
+1 on Apex Launcher. If you want to get rid of the ever present Google Search bar then Apex will give you that option without loosing other functionality. Plus, it is a great launcher. I'm unlocked, rooted and running a custom rom and still use the Apex launcher.