I have a plan question.

TiggerGrrr

Reaction score
My upgrade comes on the 15th. I would rather just buy a new phone and stay on my old everything plan. Is this possible or will they force me to limit my data plan?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
If you pay full price, you can maintain unlimited (most of the time). Paying full price allows you to maintain no contract and current plan (at least until Verizon boots us off unlimited).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TWC42

Reaction score
........ I would rather just buy a new phone and stay on my old everything plan. Is this possible ....
As Caesars indicated, if you buy a new phone at retail (or from someone else via Swappa, Craig's List, etc.) and put it on your line, you can keep your current plan.
However, I would like to complicate your decision. Do the math. Do you use enough data to justify paying more than you might under the new Share Everything Plan? You realize that the subsidy you get for a new, top of the line smartphone is about $400 off retail, and given that you can upgrade every 20 months, that amounts to about $20 per month that you give up in order to keep your current plan. When you analyse your data usage, keep in mind that because 4G is faster, you may tend to use more data than when you had 3G.
To further complicate the issue, T-Mobile has announced that in 2013, they will discontinue subsidizing phones, and customers must buy them outright, pay them off in monthly installments, or bring their own. Will Verizon follow suit? Will this go-round be your last chance to get a subsidized phone and from then on out will you have to buy your phone outright? Will the change to non-subsidized phones (by VZW), and hopefully lowering of the plan rates, be the final blow to those who are hanging on to Unlimited Data, making the cost to retain UL very expensive?
I'm looking at this issue from a low end data user. In my case, I can't justify hanging on to UL at any cost. For a heavy data user, it may be prudent to hold on to UL and forgo what might be the last subsidy available.

Last edited:
OP
TiggerGrrr

TiggerGrrr

Reaction score
Thanks. That is everything into perspective.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid Forums

americandad

Reaction score
I have an old Alltel plan with unlimited data, 15 friends and family, nights and weekends, and mobile to mobile for a very reasonable price in todays market. Verizon has been renewing it since they bought out Alltel, and they told me yesterday at a corporate store that they will renew it again, and I get phones at the discounted rate.

americandad

Reaction score
Thought I should update my post. I just renewed my unlimited plan and bought a new DROID RAZR Max HD. Those buggers capped my data at 2gigs though, that after 2 different reps told me I could keep my plan as is. Stopped at 2 different stores and it was a no go. No worries really I never use near that much.