I don't want to hate my new droid 2 but...

SpoonzDroid

Reaction score
I just got the Droid 2. I came from having a BB Curve. I chose the Droid 2 over the the droid pro because I wanted the larger screen. Here are :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:the things I don't like, I hate the battery life, and hate that the email doesn't push in immediately, mail sent from my phone doesn't show in the sent mail folder.

The battery life is the thing that could be a deal killer...My friend just got the droid 2 also and has not been having any battery issues. BUT, she has not added any apps, no email accounts, and keeps data turned off. I didn't attribute the battery life to this until I did a little experiment. My battery showed 90% after only being off the charger for less than an hour with minimal use. I put her battery in my phone. Hers showed 100% in her phone but only 90% in mine. I then put my battery in her phone...it showed 90% in mine and 100% in hers. I am thinking there is something wrong with my phone.

In order to rule that out, I have factory reset my phone. The battery charge improved from 70% to 90% without being put on the charger...just reset! I have not restored any of the apps that I had added before the reset and I have not added my email accounts or facebook acct. Want to see how the battery reacts. Will keep you all posted...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Battery life on a BB is better than a Droid. This is a law of nature (or cell phones -- depends on if you consider a smartphone a natural thing or not ;)), but there are steps you can take to save battery life. First and foremost use WiFi whenever possible, keep the screen on auto or lowest brightness levels, and keep an eye on the overall charge state because sometimes you have to reset it. It does settle down.

Also, you'll notice battery life improves after you get more used to the phone. We stop playing with them all the time after we're more used to it. :)

:welcome: to the forum! :)

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Some things I have found to do on my Droid X that gets me better battery life...I routinely get 12-15 hours out of my battery, and it goes on the charger usually at around 20-30% at night...YMMV

1) Screen Brightness...usually the largest user of battery...mine is set to Auto...it seems to work well...it brightens up in dark environments while darkening down in bright environments.

2) Battery Mode - Nightie Saver...so far, this has worked well for me...try it or Maximum...be aware that both turn off Data Connections at some point.

3) I have "0" automatic updates...everything I need that updates I do manually.

4) Email is set to only sync when connected to a Wireless Connection. This is done since 3G uses more battery than Wifi

5) Absolutely no Task Killer or Antivirus apps running...they are for the most part useless and not needed..at worst they cause more negative issues for the battery.

OP
S

SpoonzDroid

Reaction score
Thank you Bear and Bagz for your replies...I thought my problem was resolved when I did the factory reset. I then had to do a factory reset again because of issues with my contacts. Now the battery life seems crappy again. What am I doing wrong? I turned off automatic updates for the apps that I had downloaded. I have battery saver on. I have the screen dimmed or on auto. I do have my email pushing in...can that make my battery deplete from 100% to 90% almost immediately?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The real test is how long does it take to go from 90-80 and 80-70. If it's just as fast, worry. If not then it's okay. That first step comes faster than you'd think, but it's actually a measure by the phone to maintain battery longevity. Test it for another day or two and let us know if you're getting the drop on the lower percentages as fast as the first step.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Thank you Bear and Bagz for your replies...I thought my problem was resolved when I did the factory reset. I then had to do a factory reset again because of issues with my contacts. Now the battery life seems crappy again. What am I doing wrong? I turned off automatic updates for the apps that I had downloaded. I have battery saver on. I have the screen dimmed or on auto. I do have my email pushing in...can that make my battery deplete from 100% to 90% almost immediately?

You could also buy an extended battery, and actually resolve the problem.

-Mike