I couldn't help but notice...

cp24eva

Reaction score
That super-amoled screen have horrible coloring to the screens. Of course this is my opinion. I mean i noticed it before when picking phones and stuff, but this morning while on the pack like sardines-train, I happened to spot a Nexus a few feet away. Next to him was an iphone user and other various phones users in his vicinity. From a distance (which was only about 3 feet, that nexus sceen just looked horribly yellow/green sitting next to an iphone, a rezound, and a black berry. Is this whats hot? On screens that aren't primarily white you wont notice it as much, but the dude was reading a white backdropped page and it just did not look good. Yes, I was peeping his phone. sorry, I'm human.

So when it comes to different screen type the biggest complaints are pentile looks and amoled screen yellow tints. Yes, super amoled seems a bit brighter at time, but it's yellow. Why isn't that technology being enhanced?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not like the G Nex screen because of that, you're not the only one. I think the iPhone and the Rezound have the best looking displays out there, in my opinion of course. I also do NOT like the Razr screen either.

I did NOT like Pentile on the Bionic (my DROID X looked better) I had, especially now that I have the Rezound.

I don't know too much about the screen technology but has to do with the way the pixels are organized and the ratio of colored pixels being used. I think if I recall that pentile AMOLED uses and green and/or yellow that helps with battery life, which would make sense giving it that extra bit of yellow/greenish tint to it.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
I'd figured these top tiered companies would have it figured out by now. HTC has been in the game a long time though. They had a lot of 'firsts' and will continue to do that. But this screen thing with those guys. Do Gnex users actually see this and say that they are willing to accept that trade off? (Which is totally fine) OR, are they looking living in denial? Could be that some of their visions and color perception is off as well. I don't know. But just looking at that screen today made me mad for Gnex users because it's a great phone, highly anticipated and all that. But they gave them a murky yellow screen.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
CP24eva, I love you like a brother...but another Rezound vs GNex thread?? We won...let it go bro...don't be a sore winner..

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
CP24eva, I love you like a brother...but another Rezound vs GNex thread?? We won...let it go bro...don't be a sore winner..

It's not about vs. really. it's more about why Samsung went ahead and still produces these types of screens for their loyal customers. I mean, maybe I should have posted it in the Gnex forums. I know (in my mind) that the Rezound is better, but it's not about that. It's more about Samsung and their string of disappointing aspects thats all. lol.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its also the manufacturers trying to find ways to help with battery life as well, and I think maybe that's why they went with that screen. but its whatever lol

I enjoy both phones, but I love the Rezound as my daily driver.

???

Reaction score
my guess being a nexus owner, is that unless you're comparing phone screens from 3 feet away and at an angle. the nexus screen looks good, or atleast it does to everyone that's checked out mine. as well as I'm more than happy with it. hell, i was pretty much ok with my d1 screen. It was a little dated. but far from unusable or something I'd hide in public so people couldn't see my lesser phone.

now I will say that if my phone is laying on a table from an angle the screen looks blue-ish and not very bright compared to others. but when I pick it up and look at it straight on like i always do when using a phone. that's tint goes away and I'm more than happy with how it looks. i bet the same goes for the guy on your train. if you would have asked him about his screen. i'd bet he'd say how much he loves it.

so to answer your question, they build them like this because normal people don't care or even notice. only people looking to pick a side, will even take notice.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
my guess being a nexus owner, is that unless you're comparing phone screens from 3 feet away and at an angle. the nexus screen looks good, or atleast it does to everyone that's checked out mine. as well as I'm more than happy with it. hell, i was pretty much ok with my d1 screen. It was a little dated. but far from unusable or something I'd hide in public so people couldn't see my lesser phone.

now I will say that if my phone is laying on a table from an angle the screen looks blue-ish and not very bright compared to others. but when I pick it up and look at it straight on like i always do when using a phone. that's tint goes away and I'm more than happy with how it looks. i bet the same goes for the guy on your train. if you would have asked him about his screen. i'd bet he'd say how much he loves it.

so to answer your question, they build them like this because normal people don't care or even notice. only people looking to pick a side, will even take notice.

I not only noticed this color on the train, but in the store the two - 30 minutes sessions I had with the phone. I'm not saying the phone is horrible to the point of not buying it. My ordeal is with Samsung. Give the customers what they've been anticipating for who knows how long. But, like I said before it's probably about trade offs. I noticed the same thing with the RAZR to. I didn't have to be 3 feet away at an angle to see that it has that tint. If I didn't have anything to compare the screens with then it might not have been an issue, but when I say the huge difference between the Gnex screen then the other screens I saw, it made me question Samsung's motives.

jcardona1

Reaction score
The Nexus had a beautiful display. Razr and the Bionic I didn't like at all, weird blue/green tint to everything. But I still prefer the display on my Rezound :)

rasaun87

Reaction score
its a matter of opinion... while I loved the rezound, I did NLT like the screen. It was dull, and if there was bright lights or if I was outside it was a dead idea for looking at the screen. But its a matter of opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

???

Reaction score
yes, i think you are totally over thinking it... for the question as to why, because no one really cares, and the 2% that does will buy a different phone anyways.

it looks good to 98% of the world, it is cheaper to build and uses less power. (from what i read) really thou, it is very usable in the bright sun,which is where i am for 80% of my work day.

i'm sure the rezound looks great to their owners too. it just plain doesnt matter.

dsw1519

Reaction score
I was at the VZ store last night looking at both the GNEX & Rezound. I also noticed the screen colors and really felt the rezound display was much better. I was going to buy the GNEX, but after using it in the store and holding it I wasn't happy at all the display and the feel of the phone. I'm going to wait for the Droid 4 to be released, but most likley I will be buying the Rezound.

kparks

Reaction score
its a matter of opinion... while I loved the rezound, I did NLT like the screen. It was dull, and if there was bright lights or if I was outside it was a dead idea for looking at the screen. But its a matter of opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Agreed its all in what u like i love slcd and lcd displays and absolutely hate amoleds i think they look terrible the ips display looks great also.. But its all in a opinion they wouldnt have them if no1 liked them some ppl feel the exact opposite as i do.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums