I can't turn on my phone. I need help, fast.

MsPrettyPoetic

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I brought from Target under Verzion Wireless. I didn't get the warranty (I don't believe I did at the time because I had to wait to see if my parents were putting me under their plan, but they did not). I brought the phone in June 2013. I have had to buy 2 new phone chargers chargers in that time, the charger that brought with the phone was stolen. I brought a new charger from Verzion Wireless in October, but the wire started coming out of the cord. The part that goes into the wall worked fine, so in December I just brought a retractable USB cord from Radio Shack.

We recently got a new GS puppy in August. In January, he knocked me over unexpectedly with the phone in my hand, and it cracked the bottom of my screen, where the "go back" and "menu" buttons are, respectively.

My phone was working fine until 2 days ago, where it would be slow to charge, no matter where I charged it (boyfriend's house, my house, charged in the wall, charged by my computer).
Then yesterday, I noticed when I charged my phone by computer, it actually depleted my battery as long as it was charging. I tried charging it it by the wall, and it actually brought my life down to 0%. I could not cut it on.
When I tried to charge, it would stay frozen at the screen that shows my battery, with the little gray symbol commonly seen trying to upload a video. It wouldn't show green.
I thought it was the charger, but my dad tried his charger and it didn't work either. It would not cut on no matter what.
Then I tried taking out the battery and SIM card, but nothing worked.
Today, I tried pressing the home, power and volume up button but it brought me to a screen stating, "Warning A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. If you want to install a custom OS, press volume up key. Otherwise press the volume down key to cancel."
I did not want to mess up my phone so I just left it alone and it went back to black.
I need my phone because I have places calling me about job interviews and it's the number I am to be reached at. I can not afford to not have my phone at this point.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I brought from Target under Verzion Wireless. I didn't get the warranty (I don't believe I did at the time because I had to wait to see if my parents were putting me under their plan, but they did not). I brought the phone in June 2013. I have had to buy 2 new phone chargers chargers in that time, the charger that brought with the phone was stolen. I brought a new charger from Verzion Wireless in October, but the wire started coming out of the cord. The part that goes into the wall worked fine, so in December I just brought a retractable USB cord from Radio Shack.

We recently got a new GS puppy in August. In January, he knocked me over unexpectedly with the phone in my hand, and it cracked the bottom of my screen, where the "go back" and "menu" buttons are, respectively.

My phone was working fine until 2 days ago, where it would be slow to charge, no matter where I charged it (boyfriend's house, my house, charged in the wall, charged by my computer).
Then yesterday, I noticed when I charged my phone by computer, it actually depleted my battery as long as it was charging. I tried charging it it by the wall, and it actually brought my life down to 0%. I could not cut it on.
When I tried to charge, it would stay frozen at the screen that shows my battery, with the little gray symbol commonly seen trying to upload a video. It wouldn't show green.
I thought it was the charger, but my dad tried his charger and it didn't work either. It would not cut on no matter what.
Then I tried taking out the battery and SIM card, but nothing worked.
Today, I tried pressing the home, power and volume up button but it brought me to a screen stating, "Warning A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. If you want to install a custom OS, press volume up key. Otherwise press the volume down key to cancel."
I did not want to mess up my phone so I just left it alone and it went back to black.
I need my phone because I have places calling me about job interviews and it's the number I am to be reached at. I can not afford to not have my phone at this point.

If all you need is a phone to answer at your number buy or borrow an old phone, take it to Verizon and have them swap your number to it. At least then you can get the calls. There is also a way to retrieve your messages from another phone, not sure offhand how to do it. We've been through this so many times with kids, we keep old phones around.

As far as reviving your old phone, your best bet is to take it to a repair shop. They're popping up all over and are generally pretty good at repair. You should let them know if you only want it revived far enough to get data off or whether you want it brought fully back to usable condition. My guess is that they can easily get it charged so you can get data off, and they should not charge much for that. Full repair might be $200 or more. Sounds to me like full repair would involve a new case, screen, and jack at minimum. They may even just swap your (probably good) electronics into a phone with a bad electronics. If they don't have any S4 parts, you could sit on it until they do, and in the meantime use or buy another phone. S3's are pretty decent really. Most of the repair shops sell used phones also.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
You can also call Verizon Wireless Customer Service to have your phone calls forward to another phone number, another persons cell or house phone. 800-922-0204.