Charging port is damaged...what to do ;__;

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I started getting the message in my notifications "slow charging, to charge faster use orginal charger" or something similar, whenever I plug in my phone using the charger that came with my phone. This has been a problem for awhile now but I didn't decide to address it until now. Recently i noticed that whenever I plug in my verizon charger that I'm getting the same message. I took the phone to the verizon store, and as a lady who worked there discovered, the inside of the charging port (bottom slot where the charger plugs in) is slightly damaged. I think part of one of the tiny the metal pieces is missing, or chipped or something but it's slightly hard to tell.
Could anybody enlighten me?? Is there any place in New York City that can fix this?? I KNOW that this cannot be extremely difficult to fix but as expected, the verizon store cannot help me. The phone still charges, but it doesn't do it properly and the battery life ends up being shorter when it goes down to 100%. Hoping somebody could enlighten me here.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would recommend you use Yelp and look up some local phone repair shops.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Sorry that happened, Mittens. I can't believe the Verizon store couldn't help you with a repair for an issue that's probably fairly common. You'd think they'd at least have a repair facility that they could refer customers to.
Let us know how you make out when you find a place to repair it.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Sorry that happened, Mittens. I can't believe the Verizon store couldn't help you with a repair for an issue that's probably fairly common. You'd think they'd at least have a repair facility that they could refer customers to.
Let us know how you make out when you find a place to repair it.
I'm probably gonna go back to the same store and ask somebody else or try a different store. Somebody will have to be able to suggest something.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Including a link for S4 ifixit. Daily Steals also has Samsung S4 wireless charging backs for $15.

bbtkd

Reaction score
A few weeks after getting my S4, I noted that if I moved the phone while charging, the connection would disconnect and reconnect. So - switched to wireless charging. Rather than use the bulky Samsung wireless charging cover that wouldn't fit under my case, I bought an ultra-thin wireless charging foil receiver (on Ebay) that barely fits under the stock cover, and in my Seidio Surface case. The back of the stock cover bulges slightly, making the Surface case difficult to get back off - but it fits. It sort of works with the Samsung wireless charger, but is fussy about the location, probably due to the extra thickness of the Surface case. So - I picked up a different wireless charger on Ebay that is rated up to a 10mm distance, about twice the Samsung.

Now I rarely use the connector to charge. You do have to avoid leaving the phone on the wireless charger after it is done charging. Though the phone is smart enough to know to stop charging when the battery is full, the charger continues to send power to the coil which is stuck to the battery, and this will eventually (after weeks/months) cook the battery and make it bulge. I charge while I sleep so I try to remember to pull it off the charger when I roll over in the middle of the night. One guy who didn't know to do this cooked his battery, bulging it and the phone out. Lucky for him, a new battery fixed it and no damage to the phone.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Thanks for sharing

bbtkd

Reaction score
No problem, figured it was a way to work around the issue or avoid it in the first place

wcjeep

Reaction score
With the S5, the official charge back creates very little heat. With my previous S3, the insert does create more heat. Some inserts are better than others.

I did try the Tylt insert on my S5. A lot of heat with little charging.

bbtkd

Reaction score
With the S5, the official charge back creates very little heat. With my previous S3, the insert does create more heat. Some inserts are better than others.

I did try the Tylt insert on my S5. A lot of heat with little charging.

Hopefully on the S5 cover they've kept the coil isolated or insulated from the battery. They really can't avoid having it produce heat since the Qi chargers can't detect fully charged status and turn off. Perhaps the charging cover dissipates the heat evenly so it is less noticeable. I'm due for a new phone about when the S6 comes out - maybe by then they'll fully integrate wireless charging.