"to charge faster, use the original charger" message???

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I started getting this message whenever I plug in my phone using the charger that came with my phone. This has been a problem for awhile now but I didn't decide to address it until now. Does anybody know why I'm getting this message? When I first got the phone this wasn't an issue. My other black light up Verizon charges started getting the same message as well. Anyone familiar with this issue???

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would go to a phone store and test it. That would eliminate the port as the problem. Beyond that it could be the charger or the cable.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I would go to a phone store and test it. That would eliminate the port as the problem. Beyond that it could be the charger or the cable.
As it turns out the port is actually slightly damaged( slot on bottom where the charger plugs in) As a women at the verizon store discovered, it looks like one of those tiny metal things is chipped. Is there anywhere I could go to repair this??? I know the verizon stores are not gonna do this...

Nenda2

Reaction score
I've seen this same msg if I use the charger from the S3, but not with other chargers I use ie car, office, etc.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Not sure if you have addressed this yet, but you have a few options; if you have phone insurance that covers breakage/damage you could file a claim an get a refurbished replacement, probably costing you the $50 to $100 deductible. Failing that, look for a phone repair shop which any decent sized town will have - they might be able to find a replacement part. Lastly, do like I did when I noticed my jack getting intermittent - go wireless. If you don't have a case, then just get the Samsung wireless back cover and pad. The back is thicker so won't work with a case. I opted to buy a third party ultra-thin foil charging coil receiver that fits under the stock cover. Makes the cover bulge a little but my case fits. Because I used a case, it increased the distance from the foil to the charger, so the phone had to be precisely centered on the charger. Instead, I bought a Qi charger on Ebay that is good up to 10mm distance and that works better. Note that since the wireless pad doesn't know when the phone is charged, it keeps sending power to the coil even after the battery stops charging. Since the coil (whether aftermarket or Samsung) rests on the battery, leaving it on the charger too long will eventually cook the battery and make it bulge - potentially ruining the phone. I charge mine while I sleep so I am in the habit of taking it off the charger when I turn over in the middle of the night. Missed it a few times, but just don't want to leave it on all night every night.