I am really starting to hate my X, wifi won't work and reboots...wtf

jwilderman

Reaction score
I had good luck with my phone, loaded 5 or 6 different roms without any problems, but when I tried to load the 596 rooted 2 part GB it all went to hell in a hurry. I'm lucky if it doesn't repeatedly reboot itself, and if I dare turn on wifi it just sits there "turning off..." only it doesn't turn off.....ever! I can turn on airplane, which will shut down bluetooth, but does nothing to wifi, can't figure out how to kill wifi. Then after a while it starts with the rebooting business, I've sbf'd back to 340 about 10 times now, tried to take the OTA GB--no luck, no luck with the 2 part GB, and even the stock 340 bends me over if I try to turn on wifi. I'm at my wits end with this thing, it's on its way to being a broken paperweight.

Thanks for letting me vent, please help with any suggestions if possible!

Ivanhoensandiego

Reaction score
Haven't been able to get wifi on gingerbread to work at all. I could never get the wifi to work consistently previously. Motorola says I should get a different phone. I bought 1 of the very first ones. Some other forum said they had problems on some the initial phones.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

leonozug

Reaction score
SBF it and go back to .340 and install Cyanogenmod 7 for the DX. I just installed the latest nightly(18)today, flashed the camera and video fix and then the GPS fix, everything works perfectly on it. I used Android Overclock set to 1.2Ghz and scored over 2700 in the Quadrant. It's blazing fast. Never mind that 2.3.3 update Verizon put out, it's terrible. Go ASOP with Cyanogen, it's 2.3.4, it's sweet. You don't even need a bootstrap on it once you install it. Rebooting in recovery is build right in. Try it out, you'll be happy you did.

lightsout

Reaction score
Why not just take it to vzw and get a new one. They should replace if widow is broke. It runs fine on mine with liberty 0.8

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

leonozug

Reaction score
Why not just take it to vzw and get a new one. They should replace if widow is broke. It runs fine on mine with liberty 0.8

His phone isn't broke. Do you really think Verizon will replace his phone after it's been rooted and running a hacked verzion of gingerbread? I think not. That would go over like a fart in church. All the phone needs is a SBF, factory reset, complete wipe, and a good rom, like Liberty or CM7, and it will be fine. That 2.3.3 Gingerbread DX build is terrible.

lightsout

Reaction score
Well I thought he said he did all that. And I was under the impression you could sbf and then Verizon would not know it was rooted. Is that not true?

leonozug

Reaction score
Sure, if you SBF back to 2.2.1 Froyo and take it to Verizon unrooted, they would accept it. The only thing is Gingerbread went live a while ago and they might wonder why your phone isn't on Gingerbread yet. You may have to SBF with the .596 Gingerbread SBF file, but you won't have any root that way.

I'm thinking it might be an issue with something else involved with the SBF/factory reset process. I would re-download a new .340 SBF file and SBF and factory reset and see if Wi-Fi works...if not, definitely bring it back and see if they will give you a new phone.

lightsout

Reaction score
Ok makes sense thanks for clearing that up.

OP
J

jwilderman

Reaction score
I have taken my phone back to 340 via sbf, done a nondroid backup that took me back to before I started loading roms (did a backup before I started playing), and I still can't shake the wifi issue. And I have no idea why I keep getting the random reboots.

I would take the phone back to vzw, but it got wet several months ago, and so the indicator stickers were triggered. I sat my phone down on my nightstand where a spilled sippy cup was, but I took out the battery and left it sitting for 24 hours and everything was fine from then on. I'm gonna guess vzw won't care about any of that, just that the stickers have been triggered.

VZW_CS

Reaction score
I am really starting to hate my X, wifi won't work and reboots..

I have taken my phone back to 340 via sbf, done a nondroid backup that took me back to before I started loading roms (did a backup before I started playing), and I still can't shake the wifi issue. And I have no idea why I keep getting the random reboots.

I would take the phone back to vzw, but it got wet several months ago, and so the indicator stickers were triggered. I sat my phone down on my nightstand where a spilled sippy cup was, but I took out the battery and left it sitting for 24 hours and everything was fine from then on. I'm gonna guess vzw won't care about any of that, just that the stickers have been triggered.

At Verizon Wireless, we always have options when it comes to equipment. Please review the following site for some Certified Pre-Owned Devices. They do not require a service agreement, they are insurable, and are are at a much lower price than full retail. Here is the website address for your convenience.

Certified Pre-Owned Cell Phones, Smartphones and Devices - Verizon Wireless

Additionally, if your phone shows liquid damage and you have the equipment insurance, you are able to file a claim with the insurance company to obtain a replacement. Their address is:

Please Enter Your Verizon Mobile Device Number

For immediate assistance, please contact Customer Service at *611 and SEND from your wireless phone, so we can review any and all options for you.

I hope this information is helpful. Have a wonderful day!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Oxymoron

Reaction score
Wow.... VZW responding to a post about a rooted phone with Wifi problems. Talk about weird.

You know what? It's awesome. Very cool to see it.

Personally, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Verizon. Customer service especially. I've also had many conversations with VZW reps, about rooting/bandwidth/ROMs/etc..

Anyway... back on topic... DX with WIFI issues and stuff...
Bummer, man. Hope you get it sorted bro (speaking to the OP).

*customized tapatalk signature*

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Quick question to the OP...

Did you have the WiFi problem before or after the water damage from the sippy-cup? If before, then why didnt you already carry the phone back, since it was obviously a hardware related problem?

If it was after the water damage, why exactly are you complaining...water on internal parts is a no-brainer, and no matter what tricks you try, getting ALL water out before it damages/corrodes electric conducive materials is damn hard and never 100% successful...

Either way, I would do what the VZW CS rep said...if you have Insurance, send it in and pay the fee and get a "new" phone....

OP
J

jwilderman

Reaction score
BodyBagz : The water incident was months ago, way before I had ANY issues with the phone, but obviously if the water sensors are tripped VZW is not going to do anything for me. So for no reason that I know of my wifi decided to say eat me and GB won't install correctly.

I realize I could drop $90 or whatever the deductible is for a "new" phone, but if there is not a direct reason for the problems, I feel like it is worth throwing a line out there for anyone else with a possible solution to this problem before I get a "new to me" phone. Thanks for all suggestions, looks like I may just not use the wifi or GB. I've had to deal with worse things in life.