WiFi keeps changing MAC address every time I turn WiFi on and off

XDRDX

Reaction score
WiFi MAC address changes when I turn WiFi on and off.

I have searched all over and have seen this issue posted a few time but have been unable to find a resolution. Due to this I thought I would submit to the experts.

I have tried numerous different roms (cm4dx and ssx 2.0 are the only 2 since GB release though) , but recently I was running stock 4.5.596 deodexed and I started having having an issue connecting to WiFi at work. I had assumed this was caused by an issue at my office until I realized that the reason I couldn't connect was because my mac address had change for the WiFi on my phone.

I thought to myself that's not possible that is burned into the WiFi module and is not changeable, but none the less it had changed. Then I realized it changed every time I turn WiFi on and off.

Due to this I figured it must be a bug so I did a factory reset, it still did the same thing. So I SBF'd back to froyo and used the CM4DX monster zip to roll back the baseband to .07. Then I SBF'd again to get back to stock and try again, still have the same issue. So I tried to do the 2 part update.zip to get to 4.5.596 rooted, issue still not fixed. Currently I am on Stock unrooted 2.3.340 and the .07 baseband hoping to find a resolution the the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The MAC address starts with 08, which seems to be the only consistent thing in the MAC addresses it has changed to, which is not what the MAC address started with when I got the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mwclarke13

Reaction score
same happening to me

I know this was an old thread, but not much else I have found on this issue except on some service providers forums where I can not post or reply to so I know was/is happening to others as well.

Have an HTC Shift (Sprint)
I use MAC filtering on my home wifi
I had turned off my wifi at one time,and when home turned back on and never could connect to my home wireless.
never did find out what the issue was at that first time.
Then while out I could not connect to other free wifi services I had previously registered with until I re-registerd.
When back at home again I still could not connect and decided to troubleshoot the problem.
Found out that the MAC address that I had as being allowed on my wireless was not the same as my HTC was now trying to use.
Once I put the new MAC address in it worked.

I know ethernet standards (were) allowed to have a fixed address assigned but can be programed up to either 7-8 addtional MAC addresses. ot sure how the wireless adapters work on these phones but I would expect the initial MAC addres not to change ?

I am wondering, if the service provider is then programming a MAC in their assigned range(s)
Or
Could there be virus, or a rough app reprogramming the MAC adresses ?
Maybe service provider updating or something?

We need to have the service providers or someone out there look into this and verify there is no malisious activity associted with this or I am inclined to no use the wifi until can verify that.

Anyone have a clue as to what can be going on?