HTC's Bootloader Plans Explained

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I anticipate that the HTC unlocking tool will be hacked, reverse engineered, and replicated so they can't trace you. After all, they send all of the unlock info TO you, so unless they have a different unlock "code" for every individual phone, then it will be cracked.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I anticipate that the HTC unlocking tool will be hacked, reverse engineered, and replicated so they can't trace you. After all, they send all of the unlock info TO you, so unless they have a different unlock "code" for every individual phone, then it will be cracked.

I think its a safe bet that if they're using "codes" to unlock the phones, each code will be unique for the phone. That's not to say that someone won't figure out an algorithm on how the codes are generated, but I'm sure HTC put a little bit more thought into it and its not as simple as you're making it sound to hack it especially if the bootloaders are encrypted.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
Shouldn't people bricking their phones be responsible? It's not the manufacturers fault. I've been open with them about my phone being rooted when I've had issues and they didn't care. I was outside of the factory warranty anyways. But Asurion replaced mine for a hardware issue and I didn't bother flashing to stock. Sent it to them rom'd and themed. Just paid the deductible...

Still Rocking the OG! Til November...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The warranty issue is a great point. I think HTC sees this as a way to deny warranty for unrelated issues. IMO, warranty is either a great deal or a suckers bet depending on how careless one is with their phone - in 12 years or so I have lost my phone several times (recovered each time) and broken one. Insurance is a waste of my money and I will probably cancel, anyway, when I get my new phone since the OG Droid will do as a back-up for a few months. Heck, I've already spent like $150 on warrant for the D1. And between upgrades you can always get decent deals on 6-12 month old phones off EBAY.

RVC

Reaction score
When I root my phones I fully understand that if I break it I will buy a new one. I don't care, I will just buy a new one. I would not use my insurance to replace a phone I have bricked either. I would rather be honest.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I root my phones I fully understand that if I break it I will buy a new one. I don't care, I will just buy a new one. I would not use my insurance to replace a phone I have bricked either. I would rather be honest.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

What a concept...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What a concept...

And to be honest, if my screen cracks - nothing to do with rooting - my phone mysteriously comes up missing.

But I wonder how many warranty claims are really because the phone was bricked (which is pretty hard to do, although a lot of people don't know what they're doing) or overclocking fried something. And you have to read the fine print because it's not like they tell you rooting voids the warranty when they're pushing that add-on. Unless I brick my phone or fry the processor, I feel entitled to collect the warranty. ESPECIALLY if they continued accepting my payment - I'd throw a hissy if I tried to make a claim and they said "sorry, you're rooted". If they know you are rooted, then they should cancel your insurance. Such a scenario would make for an interesting lawsuit.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Shhh!! There are spies around you know. Don't give them any ideas. :p

LOL..You can bet they've already thought of this. They will continue to collect the insurance from the 98% who never make a claim, and then deny the other 2% because they are rooted - probably 2 in 10 of those will even be smart enough to pitch a fit and make a case, in which case probably the worst HTC faces is refunding the premiums paid.

Actually, probably fine print somewhere that puts the entire burden on the buyer. But not sure of the legality of that, if they know you are rooted you could make a case collecting the premiums is accepting consideration and, ergo, waiving of the "no root" clause.

Last edited:

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
This is a slippery slope indeed! He we go with the whole " give em an inch; they take a mile" thing. Listen, I agree that if you flubbed up your phone and bricked it, you SHOULD pay to replace it BUT, for HTC to void all Warranties as soon as you agree to unlock to boot loader is just plain crap. I'd forgo a software warranty but if the hardware on the phone (buttons or Screen) break; they had better cover it. This is a gateway for them to see just how much the community is willing to forfeit. I'd get behind it IF they were more specific like you void the Warranty on the RAM/CPU but not for the entire device..... just my .02 on the matter.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is a gateway for them to see just how much the community is willing to forfeit. I'd get behind it IF they were more specific like you void the Warranty on the RAM/CPU but not for the entire device..... just my .02 on the matter.

Yeah, it would be kind of like a PC-maker voiding your warranty because you choose to run Linux instead of the pre-installed Windows. And rooting alone shouldn't really void your warranty, although I realize you could then delete a critical system app, if you aren't messing with the kernel there's really no reason it should void your warranty.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
This is a fair trade off, HTC gives us the flex to root without the community having to figure it out in exchange for the root community to use their method of rooting, so they can keep track of which phones to warranty. I do feel that an alternative root method will be successful at some point in managing to take advantage of HTC easy root tool.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

armedmonkey

Reaction score
And to be honest, if my screen cracks - nothing to do with rooting - my phone mysteriously comes up missing.

But I wonder how many warranty claims are really because the phone was bricked (which is pretty hard to do, although a lot of people don't know what they're doing) or overclocking fried something. And you have to read the fine print because it's not like they tell you rooting voids the warranty when they're pushing that add-on. Unless I brick my phone or fry the processor, I feel entitled to collect the warranty. ESPECIALLY if they continued accepting my payment - I'd throw a hissy if I tried to make a claim and they said "sorry, you're rooted". If they know you are rooted, then they should cancel your insurance. Such a scenario would make for an interesting lawsuit.

since when are missing/lost phones covered?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I'm not so worried about the you break it you buy it policy. I'm just worried about them knowing. So if you do sbf back and it's out of the box fresh, they'll still know, even if it looks completely untouched.
Or, what if their script just magically bricked peoples phones? I highly doubt they'd do it, but its a thought! :p