HTC Bootloader Unlocking starting September

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

It’s good to see at least one manufacturer making good progress on their promise. HTC, after receiving tons of flack from the community, decided to review their bootloader policy and promised to announce an official stance in the future. That official stance was that they wouldn’t continue to lock down bootloaders and that all of their future devices, and even some existing devices, would be given the ability to be unlocked by its owner.​
    Now, we are a bit further along. On their Facebook page yesterday, HTC’s stated that they are currently testing the unlock process and that the system should be fully functional by early September. That means we will see it sometime within the next two months, though I wouldn’t get my hopes up on seeing it sooner rather than later. Regardless, we’re glad to see HTC narrowing it down and showing they’re committed to making good on their promise.
    The official quote from HTC is below. They explain why all of their existing devices might not get the functionality right away. Long story short, every device released up to this point will need an OTA upgrade to enable the functionality.
    They’ve specifically confirmed that the HTC EVO 3D T-Mobile USA’s HTC SENSATION 4G and the HTC Sensation in other parts of the world will all be included in the initial around of unlocks. Others will need to come on a case by case basis and updates for those devices may take some time. We also have a feeling they won’t be worrying about their older crops of devices that have already been unlocked by the community.

SOURCE: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20078309-94/htc-gives-timeline-for-unlocking-bootloaders/

2. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

Hmm... It's a little concerning that they don't mention any Verizon or AT&T phones.
  3. Malvado

well if you read the whole article, it says it will continue unlocking more devices afterwards. Those devices mentioned are just their initial unlockings.
  4. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

I hope Motorola pushing OTA updates for the Droid 3 among other devices that makes the bootloader unlockable. I won't get a Droid 3 until I know that I can unlock the bootloader.
  5. Malvado

im feeling confident about motorola unlocking their devices. they alredy publicly announced it. so im sure they wouldnt wanna piss more ppl off by lying to them
  6. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

I read it I just can't help but be skeptical that we'll see these changes on Verizon phones. I have a hard time believing it's just a coincidence that the phones being unlocked are all on the more dev friendly carriers.
  7. Limbwalker

Limbwalker New Member

This could be the start of a beautiful thing . . . dancedroid
  8. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

it could be good for the the DX D2 D2G as well if someone can log the ota unlock and find the keys or did i not hear bout them unlocking those as well