HTC's Bootloader Plans Explained

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Aug 3, 2011.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Do you want to unlock your bootloader for hacking? Do you not mind losing your HTC provided warranty? If so then you might enjoy the latest announcement from HTC. According to their Facebook page, HTC is planning on launching a web tool that'll handle all the unlocking for you. This web tool will be as simple as tying your shoe lace, and when done you'll have root access and no warranty on your freed device.
    Here is the quote from the Facebook post:
    This is great news, and goes as a +1 to the future HTC Vigor, because this means it should come with that unlocked bootloader HTC Promised.

News via: Phandroid
  2. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

This is grerat news. Looks like I'm waiting for the Vigor to use my upgrade.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

This sounds amazing. Just another reason to consider HTC for my next phone.
  4. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 New Member

Sounds very much like Sony Ericsson's approach. I think it's a good one, however, it does leave them with the option to stop providing unlocking support at any time, and the devices they ship will still be locked.
  5. KhaoticFate

KhaoticFate New Member

+1

even more reason I'm choosing HTC Vigor over BIONIC.

Sorry Motorola.. you disappointed me
  6. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

The thing though is it may actually get them more money. I've had a lot of close calls with my DroidX and if Verizon knew I was screwing with it, they would never have covered it via warranty work. With HTC, you break it, you buy a new one. The people unlocked their devices know full well what they are doing.

Joe Schmo and Jane Plain that bought the phone because their friends have one will have no idea what unlocking or roms are.
  7. g_what

g_what Member

Don't get me wrong... This is great, and I'm actually much more tempted to get an HTC device now, but it gives them a way to know if you are tampering. As johnomaz said, if you break it you have to buy a new one. You can't hide the fact that you were messing with the phone to use the warranty if you accidentally brick the device. This solution has its ups and downs. At least HTC is actually listening to its customers and giving them an opportunity to unlock the bootloader.
  8. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

If YOU BREAK IT you should have to by a new one. Unless it's actually a hardware problem.
  9. AirForceAngler

AirForceAngler New Member

Hope this will be expanded to include Incredible 2!

From my DINC 2
  10. sst45jeff

sst45jeff Member

The problem I see is that if you unlock it so HTC knows, than hardware problem or not. They are going to blame it on the fact that you have been messing with it.
    If it is not a real obvious problem like a physical button not working it won't be covered, If they even cover that after unlocking.

HTC will not be able to tell what you have been doing with the phone & you could have it completely back to stock with an issue that is not related when you try to warranty it & they will just say you unlocked it there is no warranty of any kind.
  11. Nerf

Nerf Member

Does the "you break it, you buy it" apply to third party insurances such as SquareTrade? If not, then this is great news! I agree with DROOIID that if YOU BREAK IT, you should be responsible to replace it, but I also agree with sst45jeff that they will likely blame any problem on phone modification even if it's unrelated. Third party insurances might just be the answer to all of this?
  12. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Well insurance wise through 3rd party or even Verizon would cover lost or stolen phones still.... so I guess they would cover a lost or stolen rooted phone. At least they should.
  13. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Yeah, we can just use insurance. I think it's great news.
  14. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

There probably will still be ways to root without using the online HTC method.
  15. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

You'll still be able to root without probably, but you won't be able to unlock the bootloader.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  16. armedmonkey

armedmonkey New Member

I anticipate that the HTC unlocking tool will be hacked, reverse engineered, and replicated so they can't trace you. After all, they send all of the unlock info TO you, so unless they have a different unlock "code" for every individual phone, then it will be cracked.
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I think its a safe bet that if they're using "codes" to unlock the phones, each code will be unique for the phone. That's not to say that someone won't figure out an algorithm on how the codes are generated, but I'm sure HTC put a little bit more thought into it and its not as simple as you're making it sound to hack it especially if the bootloaders are encrypted.
  18. 1ceFiend

1ceFiend New Member

Shouldn't people bricking their phones be responsible? It's not the manufacturers fault. I've been open with them about my phone being rooted when I've had issues and they didn't care. I was outside of the factory warranty anyways. But Asurion replaced mine for a hardware issue and I didn't bother flashing to stock. Sent it to them rom'd and themed. Just paid the deductible...

Still Rocking the OG! Til November...
  19. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

The warranty issue is a great point. I think HTC sees this as a way to deny warranty for unrelated issues. IMO, warranty is either a great deal or a suckers bet depending on how careless one is with their phone - in 12 years or so I have lost my phone several times (recovered each time) and broken one. Insurance is a waste of my money and I will probably cancel, anyway, when I get my new phone since the OG Droid will do as a back-up for a few months. Heck, I've already spent like $150 on warrant for the D1. And between upgrades you can always get decent deals on 6-12 month old phones off EBAY.
  20. RVC

RVC New Member

When I root my phones I fully understand that if I break it I will buy a new one. I don't care, I will just buy a new one. I would not use my insurance to replace a phone I have bricked either. I would rather be honest.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

htc boot loader explaine

htc rezound bootloader explained

htc unlock bootloader explained

third party bootloaders explained in detail