HTC One M9 vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 Leaked Benchmarks [Rumor]

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 27, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

We are going to chalk this one up as a rumor because we are skeptical of the source and the results. Still, it's worth having a look at these benchmark numbers if they are accurate. Supposedly, the HTC One M9 with the Snapdragon 810 chipset and the Samsung Galaxy S6 with the Exynos 7420 have both been benchmarked and the new Galaxy 6 crushes the HTC One M9. Here are the numbers:
    • HTC One M9 Geekbench 3 score: single-core = 1,232 & multi-core score = 3,587
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 Geekbench 3 score: single-core = 1,520 & multi-core score = 5,478
    As you can see, assuming these numbers are accurate, they are pretty lop-sided in favor of the Galaxy S6. It is roughly 300 points faster in single-core and almost 2,000 points faster in multi-core. Obviously, faster benchmark scores doesn't necessarily translate into a better experience for the end user, but it's hard to dismiss these drastically different numbers.

Much of this performance delta can be attributed to Samsung's big.LITTLE architecture and their smaller 14nm process for the Exynos SoC, versus the 20nm process on the Snapdragon 810 SoC. What do you guys think of these numbers?

Be sure to check out our dedicated sections for more discussions on both of these phones:

Source: HTC One M9 duikt op in Geekbench 3 database

#1 dgstorm, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    The Exynos processor has always outperformed its Snapdragon counterpart. This is why Galaxy S lovers have been disappointed year after year when American users have ended up with Snapdragon processors and International users had gotten the faster Exynos processors.
    (Don't know if they are THAT much faster, but it's always been significant)

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Is any Exynos processor's running in US? I thought it was only in Europe?

4. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Yes, the experience is different. Both in speed and battery life. Since I used to use strictly Exynos I've never had LTE in the U.S. my battery life was always well above the Qualcomm variants.

You can run them over here, but only on 4G which in my neck of the woods has always been plenty of speed.

5. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Single core performance is still lacking. My 6+ still beats these chips.

6. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Yeah, that was my point. We got the Snapdragon compatible for the last few years.

7. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    All U.S. phones that Samsung has ever made have had the Snapdragon. Samsung's Exynos problem is that they haven't bundled U.S. LTE radios with the chipset.

I'm wondering if Samsung's downward spiral has something to do with them calling out Qualcomm now (although it has never been officially said that there is a heat issue)? Previously there was no way that Samsung could push Exynos to all of their phone production lines. Maybe now that they aren't the most sought after they can actually produce enough of the Exynos and cut costs at the same time.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Read from a previous page long time ago, US has no satellites that can handle 8 core where Exynos is 8 core cpu..

9. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    I've used 8 cores several times in the past while in the U.S. I'm not following where satellites have anything to do with the SoC?

10. jakenader123

jakenader123 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    It doesn't matter if Samsung has 3 teraflops of graphics processing power Samsung phones still lagg because Samsung doesn't know how to make software properly. I tried my friends note 4 with all the features disabled and it wasn't responsive and their were hickups all over the place. Also capasitive and physical buttons are so old fashion.

11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Not every phone. The Note 2 actually had an Exynos processor in the U.S. with fully functioning LTE.

But in most cases, it's simply been easier for Samsung to go with a Snapdragon due to the inclusion of pretty much all bands required to work in the U.S. along with supply.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    If your friend's Note 4 had "hickups [sic] all over the place," there was something more going on with the device. Mine is extremely smooth and does not exhibit the same behavior you're describing.

And for some people, capacitive and physical buttons are preferable to on-screen buttons.

Search tags for this page

htc m9 vs s6 geekbench