HTC One M9 vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 Leaked Benchmarks [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-one-m9-and-samsung-galaxy-s6.jpg

We are going to chalk this one up as a rumor because we are skeptical of the source and the results. Still, it's worth having a look at these benchmark numbers if they are accurate. Supposedly, the HTC One M9 with the Snapdragon 810 chipset and the Samsung Galaxy S6 with the Exynos 7420 have both been benchmarked and the new Galaxy 6 crushes the HTC One M9. Here are the numbers:
  • HTC One M9 Geekbench 3 score: single-core = 1,232 & multi-core score = 3,587
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 Geekbench 3 score: single-core = 1,520 & multi-core score = 5,478
As you can see, assuming these numbers are accurate, they are pretty lop-sided in favor of the Galaxy S6. It is roughly 300 points faster in single-core and almost 2,000 points faster in multi-core. Obviously, faster benchmark scores doesn't necessarily translate into a better experience for the end user, but it's hard to dismiss these drastically different numbers.

Much of this performance delta can be attributed to Samsung's big.LITTLE architecture and their smaller 14nm process for the Exynos SoC, versus the 20nm process on the Snapdragon 810 SoC. What do you guys think of these numbers?

Be sure to check out our dedicated sections for more discussions on both of these phones:

Source: HTC One M9 duikt op in Geekbench 3 database

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The Exynos processor has always outperformed its Snapdragon counterpart. This is why Galaxy S lovers have been disappointed year after year when American users have ended up with Snapdragon processors and International users had gotten the faster Exynos processors.
(Don't know if they are THAT much faster, but it's always been significant)

Gremlin

Reaction score
Is any Exynos processor's running in US? I thought it was only in Europe?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The Exynos processor has always outperformed its Snapdragon counterpart. This is why Galaxy S lovers have been disappointed year after year when American users have ended up with Snapdragon processors and International users had gotten the faster Exynos processors.
(Don't know if they are THAT much faster, but it's always been significant)

Yes, the experience is different. Both in speed and battery life. Since I used to use strictly Exynos I've never had LTE in the U.S. my battery life was always well above the Qualcomm variants.

Is any Exynos processor's running in US? I thought it was only in Europe?

You can run them over here, but only on 4G which in my neck of the woods has always been plenty of speed.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Single core performance is still lacking. My 6+ still beats these chips.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
All U.S. phones that Samsung has ever made have had the Snapdragon. Samsung's Exynos problem is that they haven't bundled U.S. LTE radios with the chipset.

I'm wondering if Samsung's downward spiral has something to do with them calling out Qualcomm now (although it has never been officially said that there is a heat issue)? Previously there was no way that Samsung could push Exynos to all of their phone production lines. Maybe now that they aren't the most sought after they can actually produce enough of the Exynos and cut costs at the same time.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Read from a previous page long time ago, US has no satellites that can handle 8 core where Exynos is 8 core cpu..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've used 8 cores several times in the past while in the U.S. I'm not following where satellites have anything to do with the SoC?

jakenader123

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if Samsung has 3 teraflops of graphics processing power Samsung phones still lagg because Samsung doesn't know how to make software properly. I tried my friends note 4 with all the features disabled and it wasn't responsive and their were hickups all over the place. Also capasitive and physical buttons are so old fashion.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
All U.S. phones that Samsung has ever made have had the Snapdragon. Samsung's Exynos problem is that they haven't bundled U.S. LTE radios with the chipset.

I'm wondering if Samsung's downward spiral has something to do with them calling out Qualcomm now (although it has never been officially said that there is a heat issue)? Previously there was no way that Samsung could push Exynos to all of their phone production lines. Maybe now that they aren't the most sought after they can actually produce enough of the Exynos and cut costs at the same time.

Not every phone. The Note 2 actually had an Exynos processor in the U.S. with fully functioning LTE.

But in most cases, it's simply been easier for Samsung to go with a Snapdragon due to the inclusion of pretty much all bands required to work in the U.S. along with supply.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It doesn't matter if Samsung has 3 teraflops of graphics processing power Samsung phones still lagg because Samsung doesn't know how to make software properly. I tried my friends note 4 with all the features disabled and it wasn't responsive and their were hickups all over the place. Also capasitive and physical buttons are so old fashion.

If your friend's Note 4 had "hickups [sic] all over the place," there was something more going on with the device. Mine is extremely smooth and does not exhibit the same behavior you're describing.

And for some people, capacitive and physical buttons are preferable to on-screen buttons.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not every phone. The Note 2 actually had an Exynos processor in the U.S. with fully functioning LTE.

But in most cases, it's simply been easier for Samsung to go with a Snapdragon due to the inclusion of pretty much all bands required to work in the U.S. along with supply.

I never knew that! Here all along the media has always stated that Samsung couldn't get the Exynos to work with U.S. LTE.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I never knew that! Here all along the media has always stated that Samsung couldn't get the Exynos to work with U.S. LTE.

That was true early on, but it hasn't been the case for a couple of years now. Any media outlet reporting that has outdated information. The main reason why Samsung has primarily used Snapdragon processors over Exynos processors in the U.S. during the past two years is availability.