HTC Flyer Officially Unveiled - Comes with Android 2.X???

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;8u5EhLT4gTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u5EhLT4gTY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The HTC Flyer that we have been hearing stories about over the last couple of months has been officially unveiled. Sadly, the new Tablet PC from HTC will only come with Android 2.X. This is a "what was HTC thinking" moment. HTC has been transforming themselves into the de facto standard of quality and power with Android smartphones lately, so this news comes as a bit of a shock. Perhaps they will realize that this is a miss-step and find a way to optimize it for Honeycomb before they release it.

Regardless, the hardware specs still seem fairly impressive. Here they are:
  • 7-inch screen with 1024 by 600 pixel resolution
  • Only a Half an inch thick weighing-in at 14.8 ounces
  • Powered by a 1.5GHz processor with 1GB RAM
  • Includes a 5MP camera with a 1.3MP front facing camera
  • 4000 mAh High Capacity battery
  • Includes a Stylus and a Scribe button that includes some custom features and applications
Hmmm... maybe the Flyer will simply be HTC's "low-end" offering and they have something more befitting of their stature in the works. We will wait with bated breath, or at least keep you informed when we find out more.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Phandroid

Last edited:

IXIKelsonIXI

Reaction score
Pretty much every announcement HTC made was a shock to me. Totally underwhelming. No cutting edge devices like the Evo or incredible were. Everything was just more of the same.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

datsyuk

Reaction score
Pretty much every announcement HTC made was a shock to me. Totally underwhelming. No cutting edge devices like the Evo or incredible were. Everything was just more of the same.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Agree I wanted to see the Pyramid and a few other phones up to par with that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
HTC also appears to be well behind in the dual core game. Maybe it will be July or August until 2.4 comes out optimized for dual core in phones, but when it does it will make a significant difference.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
There's probably not going to be any Chrome OS tablets man. Chrome OS is for netbooks and such, things with keyboards. Schmidt reiterated that in the keynote today. HTC definitely was a let down, especially this tablet.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I actually think this tablet is awesome except for that terrible lag I'm seeing... hopefully they fix that. I love the use of a pen on it, though. I don't understand why all tablets don't have one.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's probably not going to be any Chrome OS tablets man. Chrome OS is for netbooks and such, things with keyboards. Schmidt reiterated that in the keynote today. HTC definitely was a let down, especially this tablet.

I know they came out with the CR-48's or whatever, but a betting man might expect Chrome OS to get shelved. It doesn't do much, and it seems like Honeycomb already does more and it can't be that hard to continue backward integration into desktop OS's.

I just really want a phone that can pop into a dummy tablet/laptop and fire up a full-blown desktop Linux. Then it's game over.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I know they came out with the CR-48's or whatever, but a betting man might expect Chrome OS to get shelved. It doesn't do much, and it seems like Honeycomb already does more and it can't be that hard to continue backward integration into desktop OS's.

I just really want a phone that can pop into a dummy tablet/laptop and fire up a full-blown desktop Linux. Then it's game over.

I definitely agree. Chrome OS is basically just Chrome with apps and you can utilize that in Windows so I don't see the point. Maybe instead of using Firefox in webtop mode incorporate Chrome with apps if they insist on it staying around. Probably would work perfectly.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree. Chrome OS is basically just Chrome with apps and you can utilize that in Windows so I don't see the point. Maybe instead of using Firefox in webtop mode incorporate Chrome with apps if they insist on it staying around. Probably would work perfectly.

Well, Google did say eventually Chrome OS and Android would merge, or at least seamlessly integrate. But that was some time ago and I have a feeling the way tablets exploded they had to shift their strategy and appear to have chosen to build out Android into Honeycomb.

We'll see. The fact that Gingerbread (and I presume Honeycomb) allow code to be run natively makes porting games much easier. Outside of the Office suite (which it and programs like it are moving to the cloud eventually), I'm hard pressed to think of what programs I really even need a desktop OS to run. Yeah, you have photoshop and some video editors, but the handful of programs you are talking about come mostly from big companies that should have the resources to tweak for Android.

I know ADW and a few other launchers already have scrollable widgets, but that appears to be stock in Honeycomb. Ultimately that's just a different take on the tabbed programs in Windows, but from a UI perspective I think it's more intuitive.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I have also be completely underwhelmed by HTC's upcoming devices. They just seem bland at best...