Hows the D2 battery life?

mTrexler

Reaction score
No idea I understand its a smart phone and it uses a lot of power but come on no even on for 2hours and im down to 70%

SerenityIV

Reaction score
This is my first smart phone, so I'm not sure if battery life is just shorter on smart phones or what, but my battery seems to drain significantly fast. I have Advanced Task Killer on there, and even though it kills tasks, as soon as I do that, a lot of them just pop up again a second later... it seems kind of tedious and pointless. What are the major n00b actions I should take to ensure better battery life? Is there a way to permanently stop some of these apps. from running? I noticed that trying to force some apps. I don't use STILL run even though I've stopped them, and you can't uninstall them or anything. I just want to get this battery life to perform better... Any help would be great... thank you!

SilverTeath

Reaction score
Serenity, I advise you to read the whole Task Killer thread somewhere in this forum, just search it. It basically says that AndroidOS is different than what you may think, compared to Windows where you see a task running, it means its running, but in AndroidOS just because Advanced Task Killer is showing apps, it doesnt mean its using any CPU. Its just there to speed up the whole user experience. If you use a Task Killer, in the end you are just slowing down the whole phone entirely, making the apps take longer to load, etc.

mTrexler

Reaction score
I am having the same problem to I try to force close the news wdiget and wetaher widget but they keep restarting themselves I think this is the major reason for my battery loss because those widgets are constantly updating if you get any answers let me know

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Well, a lot of people seem to be having bad battery issues... any advice? I tried to do as little as possible with the phone today, and when I went to play with it later, it was dead! I didn't even do anything with it!! Is it a widget issue or what? I don't know if my apps. are killing my battery... idk... it seems to be an issue with quite a few though... any battery help would be great

SerenityIV

Reaction score
And why won't it let me uninstall apps. like City ID etc... I don't use them, so it seems like a waste... especially because they update on their own etc. And how do you do the update all feature?

mTrexler

Reaction score
No idea but if I get my dorid 2 to last over 8 hours with moderate use ill be a happy camper

Jeebz88

Reaction score
Don't worry about the battery yet. In my experience, most devices like this tend to have horrible battery life for a week or two (depending on how many charge cycles you go through) and eventually get better. Not that you should expect a week, but you should eventually be able to get through a day with typical use.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Serenity, I advise you to read the whole Task Killer thread somewhere in this forum, just search it. It basically says that AndroidOS is different than what you may think, compared to Windows where you see a task running, it means its running, but in AndroidOS just because Advanced Task Killer is showing apps, it doesnt mean its using any CPU. Its just there to speed up the whole user experience. If you use a Task Killer, in the end you are just slowing down the whole phone entirely, making the apps take longer to load, etc.

Hello all. Droid X owner here... just popped in to see the initial feedback.

Anyway, I thought I would toss my two cents in here on task killers. Here's two great reads on the subject:

Androidology (& Android OS Memory Management [task killers])

Best explanation of why you DON'T need Task Killer and Low Memory is OK!!

I'm not that smart - I went to public school. The guys who wrote the software are very smart. So I'm not going to try to outsmart their work and what the OS wants at any given time.

Just let the OS do it's thing. Your phone probably will run much smoother. Most importantly, you won't develop OCD worrying about which apps are running and you'll get much more enjoyment out of your device.

As far as battery life in general, my X's battery was not all that great out of the box. Once it got a few charge cycles on it, my battery life improved significantly. I imagine the Droid 2 is pretty much the same.

Hope you enjoy your new toy!

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Trash Can... Also, any recommended cases or cheap car chargers out there? Car mounts? etc.

aristo1963

Reaction score
Dump the taskkillers.And just a thought when we Droid 1 owners started adding froyo most of our battery life went to crap.It turned out to be a conflict with the facebook app.Make sure you update your facebook app to version 1.3.2,this may clear up alot of your batt issues.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't kill tasks.
Don't run antivirus.
Drag unwanted widgets to trash.
Drain battery all the way then charge all the way to calibrate. Do once/month.
Update PRLs via *228 (once/month?)
Try running a monitoring app like Spare Parts to see what's using juice.
I hope droid 2 doesn't have the same "no sleep" bug as the droid x but I wouldn't be surprised if it does: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html

Last edited:

LostRedneck

Reaction score
Personally I think the battery is great, although this is coming for a guy who had a Droid 1 over clocked with a 1.2 ghz high voltage kernel set on performance constantly so i might be a bad judge for whats normal.

But just in case I am keeping my charger at work, charger in my truck, charger by my nightstand and a usb cable on my computer waiting for my phone

n0m0n

Reaction score
Your kidding right? Phone ships today and your asking this already?

It's more than likely going to be the same as the X...I get 14-18 hours off of a charge.

And Welcome to the Madness here....

14-18 hours????
Can I have some of whatever your taking?
5-6 maybe 7-8 hours if I don't breath near it.

Plugged it into the charger last night at 2300.
This morning i pressed the home button to look and see if I received any SMS's.
Decided to look at the battery usage and it says the display is using 98%?????

The screen was sleeping all last night!!!!

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't seem to sleep... when the display is off, it still uses battery life fast... I don't know what the problem is.. Cell Standby uses 23% battery life, Phone idle uses 14%... I just don't understand why this battery sucks so much... It especially aggravates me knowing others can use the thing all day, and no battery drain...