How to switch from faulty Moto G3 to new Nokia 5.3?

Jimbo78

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
I need to switch my wife's old PAYG Moto G3 phone, which has no space/faulty memory, for a new Nokia 5.3 but don't know how. I'd like to do a full back-up of all data (or at least contacts) to PC, then restore all data to the Nokia if possible. I've seen plenty of free software for backup/transfer, but I'm unsure what to use. Because of the memory problem with the Moto G3 it's unlikely that any other apps can be downloaded (I already had to uninstall Facebook). Can anyone help please?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Transferring all data from one phone to another is very problematic, and is well known to cause all kind of strange issues with the new phone. If you do go that route, be prepared to deal with weird issues on the new phone. Contacts is pretty simple....if they are currently saved as Google Contacts they will instantly sync on any new phone once you sign in with your Gmail account. If they are not Google Contacts now (as in saved locally to the phone only), you should be able to export them from the phone > then sign into Google account on a laptop > import the saved Contact file > run the fix duplicates function > then on the new phone (and every phone going forward) they will sync.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jimbo78

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Transferring all data from one phone to another is very problematic, and is well known to cause all kind of strange issues with the new phone. If you do go that route, be prepared to deal with weird issues on the new phone. Contacts is pretty simple....if they are currently saved as Google Contacts they will instantly sync on any new phone once you sign in with your Gmail account. If they are not Google Contacts now (as in saved locally to the phone only), you should be able to export them from the phone > then sign into Google account on a laptop > import the saved Contact file > run the fix duplicates function > then on the new phone (and every phone going forward) they will sync.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for your advice Sajo. I think you're right about the risk involved in trying to transfer all data from old to new phone (including any corrupted/missing info!). I'll follow your instructions on how to transfer the Contacts which are, I think, saved locally to the phone. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.