Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
LG-Spectrum-2.jpg

Disclaimer: Rooting your device will void it's warranty and also, DroidForums.net or myself is not responsible if you break your phone while using this root method. Please proceed at your own risk.

Download:

Download exploit here
Droid Network Mirror

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Congratulations! Your LG Spectrum 2 should now be rooted!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Doesn't get any easier than that! Thanks Wicked!

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Another note... I had to connect mine as "Internet Connection" with "Ethernet" to get it to work. Connecting as "MTP" would not work. Thanks for the post Wicked.

edit: This method did NOT root my Spec2 with Jelly Bean. Others are going this route: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/lg-spectrum-2/243052-root-jelly-bean-spectrum-2-a.html

Same here, it didn't work so I had to use the other method.

Thanks for the heads up guys! OP updated with proper download links and instructions. We're good to go!

KnaveBrad

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys! OP updated with proper download links and instructions. We're good to go!

Just tried using this method, got the following:
[*] Rooting phone...
[+] This may take a few minutes.
[-] Faliure.

It's entirely possible I may be misunderstanding the process. Here's my current situation: Spent a couple hours yesterday fighting my phone to get the Jellybean update installed (I might not have worried about it since it isn't adding features I really have an interest in, but for some reason LG decided it would be a fantastic idea to have the phone trigger an alarm as a reminder to update the firmware. This woke me up several times, because the reminder kept occuring between 11pm and 1 am, which is utterly baffling). I had ICS rooted, so I couldn't get the Jellybean update installed without wiping the phone and reinstalling from a cab (I ended up using the KDZ method with the converted Jellybean cab). So now my phone is freshly Jellybean'ed with a few of my apps reinstalled, but since it's not rooted, the app backups I did with Titanium are inaccessible, so some of my apps (especially some games with local progress/savedata) have to wait for root :(

The steps I took were to download the linked motochopper package, unpack it onto my computer, connect my phone in Internet Connection (ethernet) mode with US debugging, then execute the contained run.bat. After it finished with the failure message, I checked Titanium just in case it actually succeeded, but Titanium detected no root access. I saw in another thread talk of needing a new Recovery, so I wondered if this was the element I was missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

UPDATE: Apparently this was my own fault, I skipped something I shouldn't have. I've used this particular computer in the past to root my Spec2, so I assumed I had all the drivers still installed and ready to go, but that wasn't the case. This time, when I connected my phone and it popped up on the computer the installation folder with the LG Bootstrapper and such, I went ahead with the install for that. It seemed to fail on part of it, saying that the MTP drivers weren't installed, but after that it launched the LG Update Assistant installer, and I let that run. Once that finished, the phone reconnected and Windows indicated new successful driver installations, so I ran Motochopper again. It appeared to succeed, and when the phone finished rebooting, I got a Superuser prompt and was able to run Titanium properly :) Hopefully my stumbling about will help someone else :)

Last edited: