How to manage files on Droid 2

Reaction score
I have rooted my phone, and have backed it up I think. But when I look at my phone using the USB cable all I am seeing is some generic folders for music, pictures, and such. How do I see the folders I need to save a copy of my backup to my computer? Thanks for any help. Dave

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have rooted my phone, and have backed it up I think. But when I look at my phone using the USB cable all I am seeing is some generic folders for music, pictures, and such. How do I see the folders I need to save a copy of my backup to my computer? Thanks for any help. Dave

Your music, pictures, and such are on the SD card. If you go into those folders while mounted on your computer you will see them in there.

If you want you can make a copy of your SD card. Just mount your phone click it open right click and copy. It should pop up on your desk top.

OP

Reaction score
Thanks I did that but will I not see my backup I made in Titanium backup? I am really new at this so I will need some spoon feeding for a while.

OP

Reaction score
OK I guess I am not asking the right question, so here goes. Is there a program that will let me manipulate the files on my Phone from the computer such as windows explorer? Like putting an SD card in a reader and working with the files on it. Using explorer to work the tree on your harddrive. I have 30 years of computer/networking background but it was all DOS/Windows/TCPIP based and this phone business is all new to me. I see replys of guys working with the file structure of the phone/sd card and would like to learn about it myself but I need some info getting started. I have searched as they say till my eyes were "bleeding" but everybody has a different view of how to do things. Maybe this is not possible to do but until somebody tells me it isn't I will keep trying to find out how to do it. I downloaded Root Explorer but it makes no sense to me on how to use it. What I want to do is make sure I have a good backup and a second backup incase I screw my phone up. I have installed Titanium Backup, Droid 2 bootstrapper, and Z4Root and Root Explorer.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Thanks Dave :)

_Killer_

Reaction score
OK I guess I am not asking the right question, so here goes. Is there a program that will let me manipulate the files on my Phone from the computer such as windows explorer? Like putting an SD card in a reader and working with the files on it. Using explorer to work the tree on your harddrive. I have 30 years of computer/networking background but it was all DOS/Windows/TCPIP based and this phone business is all new to me. I see replys of guys working with the file structure of the phone/sd card and would like to learn about it myself but I need some info getting started. I have searched as they say till my eyes were "bleeding" but everybody has a different view of how to do things. Maybe this is not possible to do but until somebody tells me it isn't I will keep trying to find out how to do it. I downloaded Root Explorer but it makes no sense to me on how to use it. What I want to do is make sure I have a good backup and a second backup incase I screw my phone up. I have installed Titanium Backup, Droid 2 bootstrapper, and Z4Root and Root Explorer.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Thanks Dave :)

If you installed titanium backup and have created a backup.. you SHOULD see a titanium folder on your sd card(i could be wrong here but that should be what you need) now that is a back up of your data/apps not your rom or anything else (at least to my knowledge)...

If you want a full back up of EVERYTHING, boot into recovery (using bootstrapper) and create a back up there.. i THINK that places the backup in a nandroid folder ALSO on the sd card.. you may want to double check all this stuff as i'm no expert.. and i'm really new to the D2.. (a bit more familiar with d1)..

hope that helps though.

heather_az

Reaction score
does anybody know how to delete the history from the recent folder on the droid 2 . it saves all delted texts and calls

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
When you plug your phone into the computer via usb, it should pop up "USB Connected" in your pull down menu, pull this down and click on it, then select Turn on USB Storage. At this point it should pop up in My Computer as a Mass storage device labeled as another drive, then you can just explore your files through windows explorer, no app needed for this. Your backup should be in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.

Hope that answers your question.

OP

Reaction score
When you plug your phone into the computer via usb, it should pop up "USB Connected" in your pull down menu, pull this down and click on it, then select Turn on USB Storage. At this point it should pop up in My Computer as a Mass storage device labeled as another drive, then you can just explore your files through windows explorer, no app needed for this. Your backup should be in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.

Ok I have done a backup in clockwork and it says it was successful. When I go to the computer and USB Cable all I am seeing is:

Droid2
removable storage
Albums
DCIM
dcim
Saved Music
Saved Pictures

The saved music folder has all my music in it. But no SD card. Thanks I am now doing a titanium backup of all apps ans sys files. to see if I get a folder from that.

Last edited:

Taegost

Reaction score

+1. When you enable the "USB Storage" option, Windows sees it as just another USB drive. I do it that way all the time to clear out old backups and stuff.

OP

Reaction score

+1. When you enable the "USB Storage" option, Windows sees it as just another USB drive. I do it that way all the time to clear out old backups and stuff.

OK partially solved my problem. For some reason Vista is not seeing all the files on the phone. Went into the registry using regedit and checked on the USB storage option being on and it was. Pulled the SD card out of phone and read it with a card reader and everything was on the SD card. So I have my files, I just have to find out why I cannot read it in the phone. Thanks for all the help. Cheers Dave:)