How to make my own custom ROM for the droid X

NYCdroidx

Reaction score
Hi everyone i wanted to know how to make a custon rom for my Droid x i am also pretty good with android. I am on windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks!!!:biggrin:

leftspin

Reaction score
Hi everyone i wanted to know how to make a custon rom for my Droid x i am also pretty good with android. I am on windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks!!!:biggrin:

How much experience and knowledge do you have in development/coding?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
i also think that too do any dev work you have to use linux, i believe

or IOS

as long as you can have a virtual machine and an environment you're comfortable coding in I think you can use any OS. But iOS? How would you expect to develop for android on an iPod or iPhone?

clueless77

Reaction score
as long as you can have a virtual machine and an environment you're comfortable coding in I think you can use any OS. But iOS? How would you expect to develop for android on an iPod or iPhone?

I was wondering the same thing, but I read it that you can only set up a build environment on Linux and Mac if I'm not mistaken which uses IOS correct?

BAD ASS X

leftspin

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, but I read it that you can only set up a build environment on Linux and Mac if I'm not mistaken which uses IOS correct?

BAD ASS X

I'm almost certain that you can do it in Windows but I don't own a Windows computer other than a VM so I don't really know. Mac computers are currently on Mac OSX Lion, iOS is the mobile platform for the iPod touch and iPhone

clueless77

Reaction score

clueless77

Reaction score
They may have, that was my only source, if they have it would be great because I get lost in linux

BAD ASS X

OP
NYCdroidx

NYCdroidx

Reaction score
How much experience and knowledge do you have in development/coding?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Not alot, but if I have good instructions I can do just about anything.

leftspin

Reaction score
Not alot, but if I have good instructions I can do just about anything.

Ah, it isn't quite that simple as a background in programming is essential. Building your own custom ROM involves changing pieces of the Android source code, adding your own pieces of code, etc. Unfortunately unless you know Java pretty well you won't be able to do anything because Android is built on Java. This isn't really something you learn in an afternoon or just follow an instruction guide to do. If it's something that you're really interested in, my recommendation would be to start learning a simple programming language like BASIC and then move up to a more complex one and keep working your way up from there.

If you do decide to start learning some programming, then good luck. It's tough as a beginner but if you really enjoy it then it's worth it to keep working at it