how to install kernel, theme?

tndroid

Reaction score
Dear all,
Just rooted my D1 last night and installed PE V6.5 ROM using ROM Manager after a long time research online. I noticed there are kernel, theme etc. I am totally new to these stuff. Can someone explain to me what kernel and theme are and how to install them? i guess i can just download kernel and theme to SD card and install using ROM Manager? do i need to change the file name to update.zip? or just use the file names as they are? please give a detailed instruction on how to install them using ROM manager if possible.
Just tired of reading through all these by my own...
Pardon me for being lazy and thanks for help.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Kernels are what determine the speed of the processor. Your phone is factory set at 550 mghz. You can install another kernel to run up to 1100 mghz and any other speed in between. Kernals can be a bit finicky so it may take a few try's to get the one that works best for your phone.

Themes have to do with what the screen looks like and are simply installed over your current ROM. Just make sure your theme is for your current ROM. If you install a "blue" theme, most of your screens will have blue in it. Best way to understand it is to look at screenshots that are posted.

After using ROM manager for a while and getting to understand what you are doing look into raidzero recovery (RZR). I would compare the two to training wheels on your bike (ROM manager) and no training wheels (RZR). Good luck and hope I've helped.

BTW don't forget to read through the instructions on how to flash (install) the kernals and themes. Some are very specific and others aren't.

This post is Incredible 2

OP
T

tndroid

Reaction score
thanks, so how to install a theme? i have rom manager on my D1, can I use it to install a theme which is not included at "Download ROM" from rom manager. just a compatible theme that i can find online and put on SD card.
i just checked some youtube video. seems like i need to rename the file to update.zip in order to install in recovery mode? or i do not need to do this since i can just use ROM manager to find it from SD card and install it like installing a ROM?
Someone help. thanks!

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
RM will allow you to select and install the theme without renaming.

When you are installing a theme or kernel, DO NOT WIPE.

Always make a backup before doing anything to a working ROM, as well.

OP
T

tndroid

Reaction score
RM will allow you to select and install the theme without renaming.

When you are installing a theme or kernel, DO NOT WIPE.

Always make a backup before doing anything to a working ROM, as well.

Thank you so much! when i just install a theme or kernel using RM. do i need to make a backup? i still want to keep the same ROM

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Its a good idea to backup your working ROM. Say you install a theme and something gets screwed up. You can wipe data and cache, flash your backup and you are up and running in 10 minutes. Backups are your friend. I tried to install an update to a ROM and instead of installing it over the ROM I wiped data and cache. I ended up in a bootloop because there was no OS on the phone, only the small update package. Flashed my backup, flashed the update and was moving on in 10-15 minutes.

This post is Incredible 2

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^This.

Its good to make a backup. If you aren't sure if you should make a backup, make a backup!

Once you get savvy you will be asking more technical questions and we will be here waiting. ;)

Good luck!

Sent from my A855, while on the move.