Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Tinman36, Jan 6, 2012.
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to flash to the 5.5.901? Right now I have the 5.5.893
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
I'm waiting for the official push. I know that "901" was obtained from an accidental/intentional VZW push and that everyone seems to like it, but still there is no guarantee that they won't find something that needs to be fixed - leading them to bump the release number, and potentially stranding "901" users off the upgrade path. For example, a "945" release might not bother to recognize "901" as a valid version to upgrade from. It should, given that they sent "901" to some, but again no guarantee. Last year, Thunderbolt users got a pre-release and some bricked their phones, requiring replacement. Different situation, but demonstrates that installing pre-releases is not without risk. If "901" is as good as they say, it should start pushing any time now...
Here is the thread that I mentioned in your "intro post"...good luck!
This update was pushed ota, both moto and VZW will have to support it on the upgrade path.
Adding to that, I used the mirror site to get the zip file. After that, this is what I did...
1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)
"7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time."
Does this delete your phone data?
Not at all; you're thinking of the Factory Reset. It's like on a PC when you press F8 during bootup; it just takes you away from the normal bootup.
I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. I updated and did NOT lose my data. it's still dropped 3g connection however which pisses me off but maybe this time it won't be as often.
You know I took my phone into the verizon store and the employee (without even bothering to try to look at my phone) said "all bionics have trouble connecting to 3g. I can give you another phone but it'll do the same thing." I said "then I want out of my contract since you sold me a defective model phone." "oh NO, let's see what we can do..."
OK just playing around with it, it appears that connecting to wi fi disables the 3g automatically on this update (901). Which makes sense, probably a battery saver. And then turning off the wi fi, I have to refresh the network using the "fresh network" app but then it connects again. Does that sound familiar?
I've read that the Bionic firmware improves 3g/4g, but does not resolve it since much of the problem is actually in the tower software. They've reportedly been updating that and in some areas it is reportedly fixed or at least substantially improved.
I followed the steps exactly and i can't get the the update file to show up in my recovery directory
Separate names with a comma.