how to get soungs as notifications and have a song play for your alarm

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
Hey i am a neewbie at this but how do you get songs to play as for your alrm clock i want a song for my alarm how do i get it to work? also how can i play songs for text messaging

Reaction score
If you're unrooted you can create a folder on your SDCard named "ringtones", anything you put in there will come up under ringtones and possibly alarms. A folder named "notifications" will show anything in it under a notification sound for messaging and possibly alarms etc. I'm not sure which one creates alarm though, but one of them does. Rooted users can move a file to system/media/alarms to play it even when the phone is mounted or the sdcard is unavailable.

CatsTide

Reaction score
you can also download rings extended from the market. it will allow you to select any tune on your droid for notifications.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey i am a neewbie at this but how do you get songs to play as for your alrm clock i want a song for my alarm how do i get it to work? also how can i play songs for text messaging

Tmurray315 - If you want to add anything (sounds, wav files, songs, whatever) it's very simple. Just mount your Droid and create a directory called "media" directly on the SD card. Then in the media directory create a subdirectory called "audio". Then in the audio directory create three subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". Then just drop your files into the appropriate folder, and assign ringtones to contacts, email, and the alarm clock.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

That's worked for me and after few months I've had no issues at all. Each assigned ringtone works each time and shows up on the correct list of choices. It's that easy! You should be all set! :yahoo:

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
oh ok like i see the notifications folder i dreagged a couple of songs in that folder and that showed up for like text messagin alerts but nothing for alarm

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
oh ok like i see the notifications folder i dreagged a couple of songs in that folder and that showed up for like text messagin alerts but nothing for alarm

Not sure what you're saying. Did you make a folder for alarm as well as notifications? They are separate things to the Droid. So if you make all three folders you can put whatever you want in each of them.

Anything in notifications will show up as a choice for SMS and alerts (like when you mount the Droid). Anything in ringtones will show up for email, etc. And anything in the alarm folder, will show up as a choice for the alarm clock.

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
One additional note. The DROID is Linux based, so it case sensitive. You will want to name the folders Notification, Ringtones and Alarms Capitalizing the first letter. I played around with where to put the folders and it does not seem to matter where they are. You can have them in the root of the SD card or as subfolders of a Media folder. Works either way.

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
ok so im a little confused do i make a folder names alarms? or what

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not trying to confuse you anymore but the way I did it was so simple. I just downloaded music from my iTunes to my Droid the I picked up the app called ringdroid. This requires no thinking, it lets you make a custom alert from your mp3's and designate what type of alert you want to make it. So you can make it for your alarm.

Very simple, easy to use. Available at the market.

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
Can i just create a folder name it alarms and put songs into that will that work?

ChevyNexus

Reaction score

I'm not trying to confuse you anymore but the way I did it was so simple. I just downloaded music from my iTunes to my Droid the I picked up the app called ringdroid. This requires no thinking, it lets you make a custom alert from your mp3's and designate what type of alert you want to make it. So you can make it for your alarm.

Very simple, easy to use. Available at the market.

+1 to bill

Just download ringdroid then use one of the songs u added to ur droid then u can cut what section u want to play as ur alarm or text tone then it will come up with options that are like set as so u can choose alarm or notification then there u go haha.

Lyrix76

Reaction score
Hey guys out of curiosity, and the understanding that Windows Media Player is Windows based & that Droid is Linux, is there any way to synch songs from WMP to my Droid? I have a software that allows me to synch my Itouch with WMP that I purchased & it works great, but won't work for the Droid. Anyone know of any software out there that will accomplish this? Any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.