How to Customize txt msg tone for each contact

nikoo

Reaction score
Like title says how do I set individual sounds for receiving a txt for each contact. This way I know who sent me a txt without having to look at phone. Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Open contacts, tap the contact, tap menu, tap options. That works for my Droid. The X should be similar.

Rocko

Reaction score
When you edit a contact, hold the menu button in to hide the keyboard, then hit the Additional Info arrow, it will open up more options and this is where you set the custom ringtone.

OP
N

nikoo

Reaction score
Thx for helpful reply mr whartman.

I did that already and can only specify a ring tone for each contact ..not specify a txt msg sounds. Thanks. And yes I have searched for the answer to no avail.

Tha.oz
Thanks for any constructive comments.

OP
N

nikoo

Reaction score
To clarify. I am NOT asking how to change ringtone.

How do I customize TXT MSG NOTIFICATIONS for each contact?

drivinfocused

Reaction score
ok let me retry this for you bud... IIRC... you would need another app to do it... you can use the third party apps like Handcent or ChompSMS(sp) and do each one... i personally use Handcent and with that when you have a message thread open from a certain person, you can click on the person with the gear in the top right hand corner, click on notification settings, then click on notifications, or set notifications..... then you can choose your ringtone for that person. you can also choose led color and vibrate pattern and color of notification in status bar..... hope this helps

EDIT:!! at least this is what you had to do on the D1....... let me see what i can find

EDIT: again...... i can find where it does the ringtone for calls but not for the text....

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Lets make this easy for you...You cant do this on the Stock Messenger App.

You will need to download and install a 3rd Party Messenger app such as Handcent SMS or Chomp SMS. Personally, I use Handcent as it has a ton of customization options, including personalized SMS and MMS ringtone assigning.

If you decide to use Handcent and need help setting it up and learning how to apply the settings and text tones, just post back here or shoot me a PM and I will help you as much as I can...:)