How to change icons after root?

whatllitbenext

Reaction score
Gentle Community:

Went to change my icons with Tasker, which uses a widget to call a "load app" operation, but then after ~ 20 widgets, I had problems loading more. Checked the Tasker website and it appears I'm maxing out the memory.

So the question is:

Can I root my phone and then gain access to the icons and the names underneath and change things that way? It seems I'd use less memory because I wouldn't be creating a widget to load an app...

BTW -- if this has already been discussed here, I haven't found it after several searches. If the kind respondent would simply direct me to a link, I'd be very appreciative.

TIA.

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Gentle Community:

Went to change my icons with Tasker, which uses a widget to call a "load app" operation, but then after ~ 20 widgets, I had problems loading more. Checked the Tasker website and it appears I'm maxing out the memory.

So the question is:

Can I root my phone and then gain access to the icons and the names underneath and change things that way? It seems I'd use less memory because I wouldn't be creating a widget to load an app...

BTW -- if this has already been discussed here, I haven't found it after several searches. If the kind respondent would simply direct me to a link, I'd be very appreciative.

TIA.

Welcome!

I believe what you are attempting to accomplish is application dependent. "Theming" the individual application should give you the ability to change these specific items. The XML files have a lot of the naming conventions, and one of the image files for the app would be the icon. It's a long process to Theme an app. As far as another app out there that automates the icon changes..... I'm not sure. I've never tried.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You can use FolderOrganizer to change the app icon if you are going to place them on your home screen or even desktop visualizer (will change icon & wording) but neither will change them in the app tray - these 2 apps are only for use on the homescreen....

cjriddle22

Reaction score
If you long press on a homescreen, then select shortcuts, then select applications, you can pick your app that you want a shortcut to. Then it asks you what you want to name it and you can also change the icon associated with this app. It is kind of a long way of making a shortcut to a homescreen, but I think it is accomplishing what you were asking for.

OP
W

whatllitbenext

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, everyone, but what I specifically want to avoid is using an app to change icons.

The idea is to get at them at the root level, so as to avoid having to use a program call. What's prompted me to want to do it this way is I was using Tasker widgets ('cause you can load your own task icons) but I started getting "problems loading" ~ 20 widgets.

Any idea where the icons are located in the system files?

At this point, I just want to change the icon; I'm fine with the keeping the text underneath.

Thanks.

OP
W

whatllitbenext

Reaction score
cjriddle22:

If you long press on a homescreen, then select shortcuts, then select applications, you can pick your app that you want a shortcut to. Then it asks you what you want to name it and you can also change the icon associated with this app.

I tried your suggestion but was never offered the opportunity to change either icon or name.

Am I missing something?

chkmate & ArmyDude: thanks for your "welcome"s.

Cheers.

ArmyDude

Reaction score
I'm curious as well. I know that the icon files are within the APK files in /data/app. I'm not sure if the OS extracts those files and gets them out to display, or if it just has a way of pulling from the APK directly without extracting.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
cjriddle22:

If you long press on a homescreen, then select shortcuts, then select applications, you can pick your app that you want a shortcut to. Then it asks you what you want to name it and you can also change the icon associated with this app.

I tried your suggestion but was never offered the opportunity to change either icon or name.

Am I missing something?

chkmate & ArmyDude: thanks for your "welcome"s.

Cheers.

See the screenshots below. You were not offered anything like this?

Are you running 2.2?

Attachments

• snap20101130_080103.png
    snap20101130_080103.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,078
  • snap20101130_080116.png
    snap20101130_080116.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 858

ArmyDude

Reaction score
+1 on ADW and LauncherPro. I don't believe the standard launcher has that capability directly.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Yeah after reading through all the posts, maybe what I posted can only be accomplished through launcher pro? Sorry if I confused anyone, the first thing I did when I got my phone was install launcher pro, so I treat it as MY default home launcher.

verum

Reaction score
How to change app icons ROOT NEEDED

discovered and written by Verum of DroidForums

• open root explorer
  • find apk of appyou want to modify
  • if the app is installed, the APK should be located in /Data/app
  • in root explorer long press the apps APK and select extract all
  • go to where the apk was extracted sdcard/speedsoftware/***APKNAME***
  • open the Res file
  • fine all the icon files in all of the "Drawable" folders
  • use picsart to modify each icon without changing it's canvas size
  • save the new image in same folder, with same name , and as same file type (pnj/jpg) as the original
  • re-open root explorer
  • find the folder where everything was extracted to sdcard/speedsoftware/***APKNAME***
  • Long press the folder and select Zip
  • deleter the folder you zipped sdcard/speedsoftware/***APKNAME***
  • clong press the resulting zip and change its extension from .zip to .apk
  • click the apk to install
  • click ok to replace the non-modified version of the app
  • enjoy the new icons and buttons you just created!!!!

Yogranny86

Reaction score
cant get it to work

Tried it five times step by step and no luck i am running 4.2.2 but dont think that should matter.

discovered and written by Verum of DroidForums

• open root explorer
  • find apk of appyou want to modify
  • if the app is installed, the APK should be located in /Data/app
  • in root explorer long press the apps APK and select extract all
  • go to where the apk was extracted sdcard/speedsoftware/***APKNAME***
  • open the Res file
  • fine all the icon files in all of the "Drawable" folders
  • use picsart to modify each icon without changing it's canvas size
  • save the new image in same folder, with same name , and as same file type (pnj/jpg) as the original
  • re-open root explorer
  • find the folder where everything was extracted to sdcard/speedsoftware/***APKNAME***
  • Long press the folder and select Zip
  • deleter the folder you zipped sdcard/speedsoftware/***APKNAME***
  • clong press the resulting zip and change its extension from .zip to .apk
  • click the apk to install
  • click ok to replace the non-modified version of the app
  • enjoy the new icons and buttons you just created!!!!