How stringent are the NFL about stadium playing surfaces

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
turf-browns-niners-mud-1974-nl.jpg

Everything from the color of the grass, hardness of the surface, to when it is time to re-sod is controlled by the Shield. The days of the frozen tundra and muddy fields are in the past as the NFL wants an even playing field to showcase a player's talent.

Check out the article below to see what goes into making the fields ready for play.

Source: NFL Field Certification | NFL Football Operations

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I understand they do it for show and the safety of the players, but c'mon, it's football.

Back in my day, which really wasn't that long ago, we were kids allowed (though not encouraged) to play in the mud throwing the ball and pushing each other to the ground. These are grown men playing the same sport I enjoyed as a kid but are paid the big bucks. They know the risks they take every time they step on the field, let them play.

If they really wanted an "even playing field" for every player, then all games should take place in a stadium nowadays. Don't have to worry about the elements and the only team with what many would consider an advantage would be Denver due to location.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess there concern with playing surfaces are the injuries. I actually saw 3 take place during the Panther's game that were a result of field conditions.
Knowing what they know now, especially about head trauma, I understand the NFL protecting their brand. Let's face it, we tune in to see the best of the best compete and to have someone go out because of a poorly maintained field not only can cost a player his career, but rob a team of an opportunity. So, personally, I am ok with the shield literally making sure the playing fields themselves are level.

You are right about the location advantage but hey we like having a city electrified and causing false start and offside penalties for the other team. That is what home field advantage is about. Plus since tax payers are footing the bill for these billionaires to make money and then leave whenever they want, might as well enjoy being able to enjoy the stadium experience every now and then.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm all for safety, but I think it showcases a player/team's abilities more when conditions are less than perfect. Things change when the ground gets muddy or is frozen solid. Takes a different kind of skill than astroturf under a dome.

Just my opinion and I'm not really much of football fan anyway, but I think those games are more entertaining to watch when they're slipping around. It should be on the players to exercise caution where needed. If they want to run a bit too hard for the conditions and they get hurt, I'll feel bad for them, but they made their own choice when they decided not to slow up a little bit. Idk if I really feel that strongly about it, but I definitely think it's more interesting to see a mud bowl/frozen tundra/etc game where their skills are REALLY tested.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Redskins didn't seem to get that memo. Their sod placement is notoriously awful, causing many an injury over the years. It's not really an advantage to the home team there because nobody knows where the loose stuff will be until someone gets injured . At least with the Colosseum you can see where it's going to be unstable because it looks like dirt

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
8 months later the NFL cancels the HOF game because of poor field conditions. WOW

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
8 months later the NFL cancels the HOF game because of poor field conditions. WOW
From what I understand the players pushed the issue and unlike years past the league listened this time.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><