how many apps

IHOPETHISWORKS!

Reaction score
does it take to get to the googly center of the droid phone!? 1, 2 , 3,000!!!? the world may never know?:) seriously, the more i read even though the phone is already on it's way to make my life hell! the more i wonder ? I have never had a smart phone regardless of my computer knowledge, this thing is going to drive me nuts! i can feel it! I KNOW, I'M READING TOO MUCH!!! AND THERE IS SO MUCH TO READ!! that's just me, i like manuals!!! does this thing even have a manual? I am aware the i phone has 20,000 apps and all that jazz! why does it seem like THIS phone needs an app of some kind to run correctly in many instances? why are there all these covert little tricks, and unknown functions that need to be spider holed and discovered! I don't want to play treasure hunt! i just want a fast, powerful, functioning smart phone that isn't a big riddle, or a big fat time stealer!!! this email pic thing is a major issue FOR ME, BUT I HAVE G MAIL SO I GUESS IT WON'T BE? RIGHT?! DOES IT WORK WITH OUTLOOK EXPRESS, POP accounts? or not? also, if you want to transfer your data by syncing your old phone to the droid, i was told by verizon you need to physically go into a store! unless you want to do it manually!? wait is there an app for that!?:rolleyes: what's the deal w/ email attachments? some guys have no issue, and then there are people downloading apps to make it work? I know there are forums for everything under the sun, but this phone has been out for a month, and there is more than a full set of encyclopedia volumes on this forum alone dedicated to the droid! it's true I GOOGLED IT!:) does anyone else see something fundamentally wrong with that? Beular? Beular? peace, can't wait till Friday!!!:r_c:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this should have been your new member introduction thread ;) i take it you are getting your droid friday? i'm excited for you.. its ten times more phone than i expected it to be..

NickWgnr

Reaction score
All I can say is when 21,000+ people all converge on one forum you are going to read about problems. Most of us on here haven't ran into anything more than a force close here and there which is nothing more than waiting a few seconds. Relax... Haha. Its a powerful and somewhat simple phone out of the box. It only gets confusing sometimes when you want it to run alot of things or want it to be/do something thats not factory.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
true. if you leave it alone and don't add apps that CHANGE how the native programs work/look, you will have a solid phone. i have all sorts of crap on mine and the worst that has happened is a few force closes.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
You are getting ahead of yourself.

Get the phone. Play with it. Try out all the things you would like to do with the phone.

When you have a question, come here. Do a search. If you don't find the answer, start a new thread with your question.

You'll be fine! :)

No, it does not come with a manual, actually. It comes with a little pamphlet covering a few of the basics. Here's a good link to the manual: Motorola Droid - User Manual

Verizon Wireless also has some tutorial videos on their site and Online Learning Center - Landing

I'm not a techie either, and I also never had a smartphone before the Droid. I haven't had any issues with the phone. A few questions? Sure. But problems? Not yet!

omnibus

Reaction score
I find this forum to be manageable by clicking on "new posts" just below the headline, at least once a day, often several times a day. Lately there have been between 5 and 12 new posts every time I log in and it's easy to skim through to find anything that interests you.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
does it take to get to the googly center of the droid phone!? 1, 2 , 3,000!!!? the world may never know?:) seriously, the more i read even though the phone is already on it's way to make my life hell! the more i wonder ? I have never had a smart phone regardless of my computer knowledge, this thing is going to drive me nuts! i can feel it! I KNOW, I'M READING TOO MUCH!!! AND THERE IS SO MUCH TO READ!! that's just me, i like manuals!!! does this thing even have a manual? I am aware the i phone has 20,000 apps and all that jazz! why does it seem like THIS phone needs an app of some kind to run correctly in many instances? why are there all these covert little tricks, and unknown functions that need to be spider holed and discovered! I don't want to play treasure hunt! i just want a fast, powerful, functioning smart phone that isn't a big riddle, or a big fat time stealer!!! this email pic thing is a major issue FOR ME, BUT I HAVE G MAIL SO I GUESS IT WON'T BE? RIGHT?! DOES IT WORK WITH OUTLOOK EXPRESS, POP accounts? or not? also, if you want to transfer your data by syncing your old phone to the droid, i was told by verizon you need to physically go into a store! unless you want to do it manually!? wait is there an app for that!?:rolleyes: what's the deal w/ email attachments? some guys have no issue, and then there are people downloading apps to make it work? I know there are forums for everything under the sun, but this phone has been out for a month, and there is more than a full set of encyclopedia volumes on this forum alone dedicated to the droid! it's true I GOOGLED IT!:) does anyone else see something fundamentally wrong with that? Beular? Beular? peace, can't wait till Friday!!!:r_c:

This is difficult to read. In future posts can you break this into paragraphs?

Basically as in your previous post you are getting you're putting the cart before the horse here. Get the phone then come back and ask questions. Maybe one or two at a time then we will be more then happy to assist.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
why does it seem like THIS phone needs an app of some kind to run correctly in many instances?
It doesn't need them. You can use it out of the box. The apps extend Android's functionality and customize it. That's a plus -- despite the various posts complaining that the Droid doesn't do this or that out of the box. I don't understand such comments. Do you also complain because you have to get apps for your PC?

why are there all these covert little tricks, and unknown functions that need to be spider holed and discovered! I don't want to play treasure hunt! i just want a fast, powerful, functioning smart phone that isn't a big riddle, or a big fat time stealer!!!
You really don't want a smartphone then. If you want something that you can just use as-is out-of-the-box then you might want to look into an iPhone. Power and flexibility come at the cost of a learning curve. You'll only get out of a device what you're willing to put into it.

this email pic thing is a major issue FOR ME, BUT I HAVE G MAIL SO I GUESS IT WON'T BE? RIGHT?! DOES IT WORK WITH OUTLOOK EXPRESS, POP accounts?
It retrieve mail from your mail server -- not from your PC so Outlook Express isn't germane.

also, if you want to transfer your data by syncing your old phone to the droid, i was told by verizon you need to physically go into a store!
I didn't. The options available to get your contacts to the Droid depend on where you currently have your contacts stored.

I know there are forums for everything under the sun, but this phone has been out for a month, and there is more than a full set of encyclopedia volumes on this forum alone dedicated to the droid! it's true I GOOGLED IT!:) does anyone else see something fundamentally wrong with that?
No. Information is power. If you're unwilling to read up on the Droid to make the most of it then, again, you might want to consider one of the simpler options out there. Buying a smartphone is all about finding whatever options suits you best. It really sounds like you don't have the interest, attention span, time, etc to invest. Something with an easier to use interface sounds better suited to you.

And PLEASE use paragraphs.

Last edited:
OP
IHOPETHISWORKS!

IHOPETHISWORKS!

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

true. if you leave it alone and don't add apps that CHANGE how the native programs work/look, you will have a solid phone. i have all sorts of crap on mine and the worst that has happened is a few force closes.
FOR THE PLEASANT RESPONSE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!:) i don't think it's coming till sat? FRI is a holiday.starting to get sweaty!!!

OP
IHOPETHISWORKS!

IHOPETHISWORKS!

Reaction score
great info!!!

You are getting ahead of yourself.

Get the phone. Play with it. Try out all the things you would like to do with the phone.

When you have a question, come here. Do a search. If you don't find the answer, start a new thread with your question.

You'll be fine! :) Thanks JG, much appreciated!! Excellent!:) it's too bad more of the members are not like you!

No, it does not come with a manual, actually. It comes with a little pamphlet covering a few of the basics. Here's a good link to the manual: Motorola Droid - User Manual

Verizon Wireless also has some tutorial videos on their site and Online Learning Center - Landing

I'm not a techie either, and I also never had a smartphone before the Droid. I haven't had any issues with the phone. A few questions? Sure. But problems? Not yet!
I hope have your luck!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
^^^ :ban: ^^^

Wagner :motdroidvert:
no but hopefully he got the point.

So back on topic....

IHOPE think of it this way. You are buying a house with all the Appliances and furniture. You may not like the brown couch that comes with the house so you have the option to go get a new one (more than likely free) in any color and shape you want.

Don't like the bedroom set? Go to the "Market" and get a whole new one. Pick out everything from the pillows to the drapes

All our devices are different and set up to our OWN liking.

Android offers FULL customization.

Pueo

Reaction score
Droid - Have it your way. Good analogy Cereal killer:clap:

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I am beginning to see just how flexible, and customizable this thing is. I have had my droid for about a week and half, and I am loving it.

IHOPE, CerealKiller made a great analogy: Getting a Droid is like getting a fully furnished house, and you get to change the elements you don't like. I have done it with a few features. The great thing about many of the available apps, is that they are FREE, free to download and free to use. Whether it's games, or weather, or personal productivity, or whatever, you will find an app that will suit your needs.

Personally, I use mine for organizing my life, I have calenders, to do lists, reminders and alarms, all set up according to my needs. My home screen shows the widgets and functions that I use all of the time. The Verizon rep told me that I get to define this phone, and it is so true. (actually, it's not a phone, it's a hand held computer that has built in cell phone functionality, in my opinion) My Droid is all about me. A few years ago, when I had my Handspring, and followed by a Treo 650, neither device could be configured remotely like my Droid can... Useful? Yes, they were, limited? Of course....

So, get your Droid, take it out of the box, look it over, play with it, and see how it works, and then visit the Market, and go through the App libraries.... be prepared to spend about an hour and a half doing that...my first day, I downloaded a dozen apps, and in the week hence, I have downloaded 2 dozen more.... all designed to make the device work the way that most advantageious to ME....