How far Google has traveled since the Nexus One

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;cQQcleFq2Ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQQcleFq2Ds[/video]​

Was watching an old Nexus One commercial and I begin to look at the Google Experience now with the Nexus 5 and I have to say we are closer (if not there) to the wild ideas Chris Bosh had when they made that video. With Google Now you literally get everything from shipping info, travel, reminders, nearby restaurants and attractions all based on you locations, search results, and time of day. And with the new gallery app and G+ (awesomeness) you can get phto editing and sharing at the touch of a button.

What are the features you wanted to see in android that is now available?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For me when I had the droid they were a large screen and a dual core. At the time I could have never imagined a quad core processor as the concensus was that how would manufacturers be able to keep the device cool when overclocking the motorola droid to 1ghz could overheat the device. But here we are now with more efficient devices that have better battery life than my motorola droid and yet 4 times faster, running broadband comparable internet speeds (LTE), a much larger screen with better resolution, and better cameras. What my biggest surprise is that when I had the droid you had to root and run a custom rom to get features seen on devices like the nexus one. But now with Xposed you can basically get features found in custom roms on stock devices which is a huge deal for me as I loved custom roms but hated the fact that running a custom rom could mean something was broke (ie f/cs) and when the dev fixed one problem at times they may break something else. It was like for me the thought was it would be awesome to get the stability of stock while have the ability to install features (which is why I installed roms) and now we are there. It has been an awesome ride seeing the maturation of android device and operating system. To think that we will see the same software on tablets (which was not even a term, as we think of it now, back when the droid/nexus one period), tvs, and watches.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
I heartily agree with you. I enjoy the fact that it no longer necessarily means having to flash a custom ROM to install modifications. I'll always want root, because I want to run Titanium Backup, use a firewall, and have access to the whole device. But if developers keep expanding and improving Xposed mods, I'd be perfectly happy to be rooted and just pick and choose my own improvements without flashing another ROM, for the reasons you mentioned. In fact, that's what I'm currently doing on my second gen N7.

SwiftKeyed via Tapatalk