How far are we from smart phones taking over the gaming realm

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
samsung_gamepad_hero.jpg

For hardcore gamers, a smart phone, no matter how good the specs, will not take the place of their Xbox or Playstation devices. But, with the introduction of the Nintendo Gameboy and Sega Game Gear in the early 90s, a market for portable gaming was opened. Now that smart phones have larger screens, can mirror their output to televisions, and are the first things we grab in the morning, even before our wallet and keys, it is safe to say that we take our devices everywhere and use them to do almost everything.

Whether we use them for keeping up with reports at work, catching up on news/sports/weather, or keeping up with the latest social news, our devices are always on us, and keeps us connected. So, how long before we begin to see more high powered games come to smartphones, and will they get to a point where they will grab a large share of the gaming market?

After the break check out Android Central's coverage of the Samsung Game Pad which I believe is another step toward bringing smart phones closer to possibly taking over the portable gaming market.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;ogdITjQPDIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogdITjQPDIs[/video]

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like playing certain kinds of games on my phone. F'ing Candy Crush....electric meth right there. But I am into playing Starcraft 2, Civilization 5, Diable 3, those kind of games are far too robust for a mobile device. Will they take over the mobile gaming realm (GameBoy, PSP, etc), I don't think so either. All of the major licensed games are dedicated to their primary device. I doubt you will ever see a Mario game on Android or iOS that is officially licensed. Even the games I do like to play on my phone I get tired of after a short amount of time. Plus, the battery usually sucks when playing a game. If it does ever take over the gaming industry, its going to be a long way off in the future.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like playing certain kinds of games on my phone. F'ing Candy Crush....electric meth right there. But I am into playing Starcraft 2, Civilization 5, Diable 3, those kind of games are far too robust for a mobile device. Will they take over the mobile gaming realm (GameBoy, PSP, etc), I don't think so either. All of the major licensed games are dedicated to their primary device. I doubt you will ever see a Mario game on Android or iOS that is officially licensed. Even the games I do like to play on my phone I get tired of after a short amount of time. Plus, the battery usually sucks when playing a game. If it does ever take over the gaming industry, its going to be a long way off in the future.

Good point about battery life. The more intense the graphics the more processing power it will take. We are just now getting into an era where we are seeing more LTE devices come with 8- 12 hr batteries on moderate to slight heavy use. It was 2 years ago when the complaint about LTE devices was its battery life. It will take more time in innovation plus as you said the licensing hurdles will make it a challenge as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fuzzball

Reaction score
For mobile gaming, I think it can become the dominant platform. I think there will need to be some better accessories though. I want to get a controller for my phone, but I haven't found one that I like yet for a reasonable price. >$50 is just pushing it for me and it'd have to have something extra that I could use to justify anything higher than that.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I can see them taking over mobile gaming sooner than later.Battery life shouldn't be a concern, after all they should be able to place a rather large battery in the controller to accommodate demand. When it does take off, greed will take over and licensing shouldn't be an issue either, everyone will want a cut of the pie. After all, Microsoft bought Nokia, Sony has their own line of phones. Who will Nintendo get together with? Samsung will do what they want, being the big dog. The future looks good, can't wait for my Note 3....

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
im not a big gamer, but i like the Moga controller. it works well with my Bionic, i especially like to connect my bionic to my tv and go on a Zombie killing spree with Dead Trigger. the Bionic Lapdock works well for this to. i think this might be the future of Mobile gaming.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, and think portable gaming will eventually evolve to tablets and smartphones. Dedicated separate portable gaming devices will become unnecessary. Once the hardware gets powerful enough in smartphones and tablets, we will see a convergence.

S

SFGate

I think the products will go where the market will bear. But, anecdote: Watching my grandson play games on his smartphone, I can very easily see phones taking over the market. He has the game consoles, but still prefers to use the phone since it has been made available to him. When he gets old enough to pay for all of this himself, he will be one of those that moves the market in the direction that suits him at the time.

Rhino94

Reaction score
I'm a PC gamer and it will take several years before I switch over bc the graphics and processors aren't even close to handing any games I would even think of dedicating to. The graphics on most phones won't be close for a while to handle call of duty or any games like that. The only game I can really play on phones right now that are decent graphics is dead trigger and Idk I can only play tht for a couple min compared to hours of cod.